Please login or register.

Adding Monero support for Trezor

The idea of adding Monero support for Trezor reached it's funding goal of 500XMR in 2 days! That means this just got real! :)

I don't know exactly how long this will take, since I don't have a Trezor yet and it'll be difficult to estimate all of the potential problems that can arise. What I can promise is that I'll be allocating on average 10h per week (~1h/weekdays; ~5h/weekend) for this project.

I will also be posting updates to this thread about how things are progressing and potential ETA for tasks I can estimate time for. All of the updates will be done as individual posts to this thread and I will link to them from this initial post.

If you think the work I'm doing is awesome and you're satisfied with the progress, please consider donating in the initial funding thread.

Progress

Code

Replies: 53
Reply to: roosmaa
Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Weight: -373 | Link [ + ]

Feel better roosmaa, being under the weather is not fun. Rest and recovery are important :)

XMRChina posted 8 years ago Weight: -335 | Link [ - ]

Hopefully you are well rested and feeling better. Any updates you are able to share?

roosmaa edited 8 years ago Replies: 4 | Weight: -332 | Link [ - ]

15th of July - Failed promises and broken dreams

Hey everyone.

It is time for me to admit that I have utterly failed to keep my promise of dedicating my time to this project. I have made absolutely no progress for nearly 1.5 months now. This is very bad and I feel horrible for not keeping my word. I am sorry.

It has become crystal clear to me that I don't have the stamina to code anything after my 8 hours at the office. For the near future, I don't plan on taking any time off either. That means, there is very little chance of me being able to deliver anything in an acceptable timeframe.

I'm hereby giving up my claim on the Moneros that were raised for this project. I would very much like to see someone pick up this initiative and carry it to the finish line. If there is no one, then the funds raised shall be donated to Monero project (as was promised in the original fund raising thread).

Again. I am very sorry to let everyone down like this.

Mart

XMRChina posted 8 years ago Weight: -333 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for your best efforts. We understand that your full time job requires lots of energy and your time is limited. I hope that someone can continue working on this at some point.

Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Weight: -331 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for being honest and giving us an update. It is entirely understandable that your full-time job is preventing you from working on outside projects.

Hopefully we can get somebody to take over your work, I think this project is important for helping to secure XMR from potential attackers.

I wish you well and hope that you consider working with Monero again in the future if your work situation allows for it.

dEBRUYNE posted 8 years ago Weight: -330 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for your efforts to date and being honest! If I may advice, perhaps (if funding is not yet completed) donate the XMR to MoneroMooo? Perhaps he can continue this thing, if not atleast we got a part time developer for the upcoming 6 months :)

Info here -> https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/334/fund-a-developer-moneromoo-will-work-part-time-on-monero-for-260-hours-over-approx-6-months?sort=date_desc

hillbilly posted 8 years ago Weight: -325 | Link [ - ]

Also if you could share the work / ideas you had while on the project in a cohesive form, it would be helpful, even if it was only sketches, it would be appreciated by the community. No pressure.

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -89 | Link [ - ]

Are these funds still available? Would it be worth advertising to try and find someone to go at this again?

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -72 | Link [ - ]

So I came across this by hitting the always entertaining "show unread replies since last post" button on bitcointalk

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=870014.0;topicseen Topic: Armory Hardened: DIY Armory Hardware Wallet for $29 (Read 6413 times)

Maybe that hardware device is simpler to hack than the actual trezor.

Reply to: Gingeropolous
NoodleDoodle edited 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: -71 | Link [ - ]

Is there a wide interest in adding trezor / hw wallet support to XMR? Just wondering.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -71 | Link [ - ]

Dunno. At some point some bitcoiner expressed that they would only consider another crypto if trezor style transaction signing was possible

Reply to: Gingeropolous NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
NoodleDoodle posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -70 | Link [ - ]

It's very much possible to do this, however, it takes some effort to do so. There shouldn't be any need to strip out the bitcoin support and start from scratch. This also makes the scope of work smaller as you can stick with the current marshalling framework. There has to be need for this of course, otherwise it's a considerable amount of effort all for naught.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

Well, could you make an argument that there's not a need?

I mean, one of the main reasons ppl adhere to Bitcoin maximalism is due to the extensive ecosystem. And now there are expectations when moving from Bitcoin to another crypto. So while there may not be active demand now, a noob coming to the space that expects this functionality probably wouldn't be satisfied knowing that it's waiting for demand.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
dEBRUYNE edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

I think there is. Initially, this thread got a lot of awareness and support, but that has dwindled a bit because Roosmaa was unfortunately not able to complete the project. Also, like gingeropolous pointed out, most people in crypto prefer a hardware wallet to store large amounts of a given coin. It could be that the interest for this isn't that wide currently, but it will certainly be beneficial in the long run if Monero grows.

Reply to: dEBRUYNE NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous edited 8 years ago Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

It's not whether monero grows, it's if ppl want to "invest" into monero they'll go "can I secure my holdings?" And we'll say no because we are waiting for demand and then chicken and egg.