Please login or register.

Adding Monero support for Trezor

The idea of adding Monero support for Trezor reached it's funding goal of 500XMR in 2 days! That means this just got real! :)

I don't know exactly how long this will take, since I don't have a Trezor yet and it'll be difficult to estimate all of the potential problems that can arise. What I can promise is that I'll be allocating on average 10h per week (~1h/weekdays; ~5h/weekend) for this project.

I will also be posting updates to this thread about how things are progressing and potential ETA for tasks I can estimate time for. All of the updates will be done as individual posts to this thread and I will link to them from this initial post.

If you think the work I'm doing is awesome and you're satisfied with the progress, please consider donating in the initial funding thread.

Progress

Code

Replies: 53
saddam edited 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

donated 50 xmr for NoodleDoodle.

nioc edited 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Thanks to Gingeropolous for his spark of 3 months ago and of course thanks to NoodleDoodle for picking this up. Seems to be a nobrainer to release the funds whenever it is appropriate. However I did not donate to this.

Reply to: ferretinjapan dEBRUYNE
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Haven't used the trezor but it looks like it's working so I'm also a fan of moving this money.

palexander posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Just wanted to give my thumbs up as well for NoodleDoodle's great work on getting the Trezor to work with Monero. These funds are definitely well deserved.

Reply to: dEBRUYNE
ferretinjapan posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I second this. NoodleDoodle has done an excellent job of implementing Monero transacting via Trezor and the code is quite functional and stable already. He absolutely deserves the forum funding reward.

dEBRUYNE posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

In my opinion, these funds should go to NoodleDoodle for his hard work, which can be seen here:

https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/2495/experimental-trezor-firmware-testing

Perhaps the ones that donated can give their opinion as well.

Reply to: nioc
wpalczynski posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Maybe someone lurking here would take this on for a reasonable compensation. If that is the case please speak up and let us know how much $$$ it would take to get this done.

Thanks.

nioc posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -67 | Link [ - ]

Gingeropolous, I love how you think! And not just here!

I do realize that was then and this is now but we did raise over 2x the amount requested in 2 days.

Reply to: dEBRUYNE NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous edited 8 years ago Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

It's not whether monero grows, it's if ppl want to "invest" into monero they'll go "can I secure my holdings?" And we'll say no because we are waiting for demand and then chicken and egg.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
dEBRUYNE edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

I think there is. Initially, this thread got a lot of awareness and support, but that has dwindled a bit because Roosmaa was unfortunately not able to complete the project. Also, like gingeropolous pointed out, most people in crypto prefer a hardware wallet to store large amounts of a given coin. It could be that the interest for this isn't that wide currently, but it will certainly be beneficial in the long run if Monero grows.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -69 | Link [ - ]

Well, could you make an argument that there's not a need?

I mean, one of the main reasons ppl adhere to Bitcoin maximalism is due to the extensive ecosystem. And now there are expectations when moving from Bitcoin to another crypto. So while there may not be active demand now, a noob coming to the space that expects this functionality probably wouldn't be satisfied knowing that it's waiting for demand.

Reply to: Gingeropolous NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
NoodleDoodle posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -70 | Link [ - ]

It's very much possible to do this, however, it takes some effort to do so. There shouldn't be any need to strip out the bitcoin support and start from scratch. This also makes the scope of work smaller as you can stick with the current marshalling framework. There has to be need for this of course, otherwise it's a considerable amount of effort all for naught.

Reply to: NoodleDoodle Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -71 | Link [ - ]

Dunno. At some point some bitcoiner expressed that they would only consider another crypto if trezor style transaction signing was possible

Reply to: Gingeropolous
NoodleDoodle edited 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: -71 | Link [ - ]

Is there a wide interest in adding trezor / hw wallet support to XMR? Just wondering.

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -72 | Link [ - ]

So I came across this by hitting the always entertaining "show unread replies since last post" button on bitcointalk

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=870014.0;topicseen Topic: Armory Hardened: DIY Armory Hardware Wallet for $29 (Read 6413 times)

Maybe that hardware device is simpler to hack than the actual trezor.