Please login or register.

Adding Monero support for Trezor

The idea of adding Monero support for Trezor reached it's funding goal of 500XMR in 2 days! That means this just got real! :)

I don't know exactly how long this will take, since I don't have a Trezor yet and it'll be difficult to estimate all of the potential problems that can arise. What I can promise is that I'll be allocating on average 10h per week (~1h/weekdays; ~5h/weekend) for this project.

I will also be posting updates to this thread about how things are progressing and potential ETA for tasks I can estimate time for. All of the updates will be done as individual posts to this thread and I will link to them from this initial post.

If you think the work I'm doing is awesome and you're satisfied with the progress, please consider donating in the initial funding thread.

Progress

Code

Replies: 53
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -89 | Link [ - ]

Are these funds still available? Would it be worth advertising to try and find someone to go at this again?

Reply to: roosmaa
hillbilly posted 8 years ago Weight: -325 | Link [ - ]

Also if you could share the work / ideas you had while on the project in a cohesive form, it would be helpful, even if it was only sketches, it would be appreciated by the community. No pressure.

dEBRUYNE posted 8 years ago Weight: -330 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for your efforts to date and being honest! If I may advice, perhaps (if funding is not yet completed) donate the XMR to MoneroMooo? Perhaps he can continue this thing, if not atleast we got a part time developer for the upcoming 6 months :)

Info here -> https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/334/fund-a-developer-moneromoo-will-work-part-time-on-monero-for-260-hours-over-approx-6-months?sort=date_desc

Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Weight: -331 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for being honest and giving us an update. It is entirely understandable that your full-time job is preventing you from working on outside projects.

Hopefully we can get somebody to take over your work, I think this project is important for helping to secure XMR from potential attackers.

I wish you well and hope that you consider working with Monero again in the future if your work situation allows for it.

XMRChina posted 8 years ago Weight: -333 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for your best efforts. We understand that your full time job requires lots of energy and your time is limited. I hope that someone can continue working on this at some point.

roosmaa edited 8 years ago Replies: 4 | Weight: -332 | Link [ - ]

15th of July - Failed promises and broken dreams

Hey everyone.

It is time for me to admit that I have utterly failed to keep my promise of dedicating my time to this project. I have made absolutely no progress for nearly 1.5 months now. This is very bad and I feel horrible for not keeping my word. I am sorry.

It has become crystal clear to me that I don't have the stamina to code anything after my 8 hours at the office. For the near future, I don't plan on taking any time off either. That means, there is very little chance of me being able to deliver anything in an acceptable timeframe.

I'm hereby giving up my claim on the Moneros that were raised for this project. I would very much like to see someone pick up this initiative and carry it to the finish line. If there is no one, then the funds raised shall be donated to Monero project (as was promised in the original fund raising thread).

Again. I am very sorry to let everyone down like this.

Mart

XMRChina posted 8 years ago Weight: -335 | Link [ - ]

Hopefully you are well rested and feeling better. Any updates you are able to share?

Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Weight: -373 | Link [ + ]

Feel better roosmaa, being under the weather is not fun. Rest and recovery are important :)

roosmaa edited 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: -391 | Link [ + ]

16th of June - Under the Weather

Just wanted to let everyone know that I’m still here. But for past two weeks I have made almost zero progress. :( I’ve managed to catch something and whenever I’m home from work, resting has been getting a higher priority than coding.

I seriously hope this thing will blow over soon and I can start showing progress again.

Reply to: dnaleor
roosmaa edited 8 years ago Weight: -392 | Link [ + ]

I have been thinking of the same thing. Basically when the software is done, I plan on getting in touch with Trezor to see if they would be interested in selling a version of their device with software signed by me. Though this Black Arrow product looks nice as well! :)

dnaleor edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -394 | Link [ + ]

A small question: Would it be possible to create a seperate bootloader for "monezor" so that it recognises your firmware? This is why I ask: Black Arrow released a Trezor copy (eWallet) and they offer the devices without bootloader if requested by the costumer. I think it would be great to have a signed firmware running on a device.

And about the fact that it's a trezor ripp-off: yeah, that's true, but you are basically rewriting the firmware, so I don't see any harm in using the eWallet for Monezor.

Thoughts?

Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Weight: -409 | Link [ + ]

Congrats to your other projects/full time job. Glad to have you helping us, I know Monezor will be extremely useful for protecting funds with people who have a tough time creating safe offline wallets. Happy to hear you will still have time to keep working on this project. :D

Reply to: Lloydimiller4 roosmaa
dnaleor edited 8 years ago Weight: -408 | Link [ + ]

Monezor sounds awesome indeed. About "trozero"... Maybe "Trezero" ? Could have the meaning of 'trust zero' (zero trust / trust no one)

Also, you could make a difference between the firmware of the device and software to communicate with the device. (With trezor, some people are confused that their trezor device can speak with other software and not only mytrezor.com) So you could for example call the firmware/device 'Monezor' and call the software/website 'Trezero'

Anyway, do what you want. Name isn't important ;)

Reply to: luigi1111 roosmaa
roosmaa edited 8 years ago Weight: -412 | Link [ + ]

Thanks for the support luigi1111! :)

And it seems you are right - I missed the fact (back in April) that you need to have access to the output-specific private key as well in addition to the key image. No need to hash them.

luigi1111 edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -413 | Link [ + ]

"Having access to those key images means it is possible to spend that output."

This isn't true, unless you mean "having access to generate those key images". You need the output private key to create a valid ring signature. A key image is another public key of the output private key using a different base. Unless i'm missing something, I'm not sure why you'd use a hash instead of the actual key image.

Keep up the good work!