XMR208.88

funded of XMR620.00 target

38 individual contributions
33.69%
33.690517764355% Funded
0 payouts
XMR208.88 balance available
0% Paid Out

WHO My name is Brandon Goodell. I am Monero Research Lab’s first postdoctoral researcher into cryptocurrency. I have a Ph.D. in Mathematical Sciences from Clemson University, a M.Sc. in Mathematics from North Dakota State University, and a B.S. in Mathematics from Colorado State University. I taught as a graduate student for 9 years at the university level, and I have participated in the Monero community under the pseudonym Surae Noether on-and-off 2014-2016, and I have worked at MRL full-time since June 2017.

WHAT I am requesting a continuation of funding for January-March and half of December (see below). The overall lab-wide goals for MRL in the 2018/2019 year are described here. In my last funding request, I told donors that they could expect a draft of a document describing cross-chain atomic swaps with ring confidential transactions, more literature review components, a draft of a document describing our churn/linkability results, and a draft of recommended best practices for Monero. - Other researchers contacted MRL regarding second layer solutions for Monero in January, leading (in part) to Sarang's DLSAG technical note. Their work is quite complete and so as a professional courtesy, rather than attempting to scoop them, we have decided to put off documenting these ideas until after those authors have published. In the meantime, the MRL document being drafted is still useful: it is now morphing into to one of recommendations MRL wishes to make to the core team regarding which of those second layer solutions should be supported and how. - Literature review is ongoing on both my github and Sarang's. Moreover, we are working on some repo management and organization behind the scenes. Stay tuned. - The churn/linkability draft document is still in preparation; I just recently finished writing the bulk of it, running timing and simulation code for including hard data in that paper, and I handed the paper off to Sarang for further edits. It's not quite ready for public view yet, but it's extremely close (and, to be quite honest, I think it's a pretty cool paper). - Recommended best practices are going to be informed by the linkability paper I just described, so this, too, has been delayed.

WHY Monero Research Lab has communicated with researchers all over the cryptocurrency industry, cryptographers, computer scientists, and computer engineers. In the past year, we have traveled internationally to conferences to learn and participate in the dissemination of results, contributed to several published technical notes on the technology underlying Monero, helped read and review papers for other researchers, participated in the cryptocurrency community more broadly, and learned quite a bit about decentralized payment infrastructures. We are submitting a paper for peer review and we have published a handful of whitepapers. Our work into multisig revealed a lot of dangerous territory in the multi-signature world, and our work into bipartite weighted matching approaches has a chance of being rather foundational in assessing anonymity in cryptocurrencies like Monero.

Okay, but why only half of December? I'm dealing with some personal business this month. I will be contributing throughout all of December, I merely need some additional flexibility in my personal life this month.

RATES AND AMOUNTS - Dec 31: 89 XMR - Jan 31: 177 XMR - Feb 28: 177 XMR - Mar 31: 177 XMR

This payment period I am requesting 620 XMR. This corresponds to 3.5 months worth of salary to cover half of December. Sarang and I have mutually agreed upon a request of 10415 USD each month and agreed to request these funds at a rate of 58.69 USD/XMR based on the 14-day EMA at the time of Sarang's posting yesterday. The amount requested in USD reflects our assessment of fair market compensation for Ph.D. researchers in this field with our track records working from the United States (taking into account that choosing to work for the Monero project on a community funded basis brings costs such as health insurance and taxes that would be handled by a traditional employer).

Thank you, Monero Community! We at MRL strongly value community input into the funding process, and welcome discussions regarding my funding proposal. Thank you again to the entire community, whether you've donated to me or not... you guys are absolutely running the show, and you all kick some major butt. I strongly believe that projects like Monero enable every-day people to protect themselves from predatory, prying eyes.

Replies: 4
MoneroGermany posted 18 hours ago Weight: 498 | Link [ - ]

Donated!

binaryFate posted 18 hours ago Weight: 498 | Link [ - ]

+20 XMR on behalf of XMR.to

anhdres posted 3 days ago Weight: 493 | Link [ - ]

Donated!

antw081 posted 1 week ago Weight: 485 | Link [ - ]

Donated.