Please login or register.

Monero Daemon on Raspberry Pi 3 does not fully sync the bloc[...]

Hey monero forum members, I try to run a monero full node on a raspberry pi 3. The daemon "monerod" started to sync the blockchain without any issues up to block number 1200001.

Now monerod constantly logs the following:

... 2017-06-30 16:14:59.618 [P2P0] WARN net.dns src/common/dns_utils.cpp:531 WARNING: no two valid MoneroPulse DNS checkpoint records were received

2017-06-30 16:18:03.422 [P2P6] INFO global src/cryptonote_protocol/cryptonote_protocol_handler.inl:293 [73.219.71.110:18080 OUT] Sync data returned a new top block candidate: 1200001 -> 1344015 [Your node is 144014 blocks (200 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started

2017-06-30 16:22:59.770 [P2P8] INFO global src/cryptonote_protocol/cryptonote_protocol_handler.inl:293 [73.254.225.73:18080 OUT] Sync data returned a new top block candidate: 1200001 -> 1344016 [Your node is 144015 blocks (200 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started ...

The daemon isn't able to get over block 1200001 (doesn't matter if I restart the daemon, or if I wait several hours or even days)

Does somebody have an idea about this issue? I very much appreciate your help.

Cheers Stefan

... In the mean time I copied all blockchain data to my Linux, 64-bit (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) system. The monero daemon just works fine there (managed to get over block 120001). However, my plan was (still is) to permanently run the daemon on my raspi. I'm wondering if the very big blockchain file (~9.1GB up to block 120001) stored on a micro-sd card causes the problem. When the daemon is running, the sd card seems to be constantly occupied (and the raspi shows a bad responsiveness).

Replies: 4
moneromooo posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

top should show what the system is doing. If it's I/O (the wa column), try adding swap, and running with --block-sync-size 20

mcsteve posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Thanks for your response moneromooo. I am now a few block from having the whole blockchain synchronized on by ubuntu pc. As soon as all data is there I'll copy it to my raspi and follow your suggestions. I'll post the outcome here... Cheers Stefan

Ok, it's time for an update... Unfortunately running monerod with option --block-sync-size 20 does not help and I don't see something suspicious in the process manager except:

• Sometimes monerod uses up 100% processing power on all cores
  • when I try to stop the daemon (exit command) only some monerod processes stop. To get rid of all processes I need to send SIGKILL.
  • But raspi has plenty of free mem and swap is nearly empty

Since the daemon doesn't work on my raspi I decided to move my wallet (which I created on the raspi) to my pc. Then I experienced that I can't unlock the wallet on the pc (wrong password)... come on!!! I already have monero on this wallet.

At least I worked around this issue (here is how, if someone faces the same problems):

• install openssh-server (sudo apt install openssh-server)
  • Follow the instructions on (https://garlicgambit.wordpress.com/2017/01/10/monero-how-to-connect-wallet-to-remote-monero-node-with-ssh/)

With this setup, you can unlock your wallet on the raspi and connect the monero-wallet-cli to the monerod (daemon) running on your other machine.

Just one last question...

It's a bug that a wallet created on a raspberry pi can't be moved to another system and unlocked there. Isn't it? :-/

(my unlock secret doesn't contain fancy characters or "umlauts", only letters and numbers)