Please login or register.

Flexcap: pay with reward or with difficulty?

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but in Bitcoin some people have proposed a system for changing the blocksize cap dynamically that mimics what happens in Monero, but instead of paying through a reduction of the mining reward, the miner that wants to mine a larger block has to do it in a larger difficulty. So he should calculate the probabilities and sort out automatically whether it's worthy for those extra fees.

Has this idea been studied when the developers of Monero (or CryptoNote, I don't know), decided to implement the flexcap as it is? If it has, could somebody explain me why one is preferable over the other?

Thank you!

Replies: 2
smooth edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -17 | Link [ - ]

They seem equivalent. We can't say why Cryptonote implemented it using reward, but we left it alone, seeing no benefit to a change.

The proponents of using a difficulty penalty in Bitcoin, I believe, favor that because Bitcoin's reward goes away, but this is just papering over the problem that nobody knows how mining without a reward is going to work at all.

Reply to: smooth
EhVedadoOAnonimato posted 8 years ago Weight: -11 | Link [ - ]

Yeah for Bitcoin it had to be with difficulty. It has the advantage of not requiring a trailing emission.

Besides that they do seem equivalent, if the formulas for the penalty are equivalent in their severity.