Please login or register.

Increasing the minimum/removing subunit Monero amounts

I am proposing to lower or remove decimal Monero values in order to lower the coin price of Monero. In case the wording on the last sentence was unclear let me provide an example:

X currently holds 100XMR at $400USD/XMR. Currently the smallest amount of Monero you can have is 0.000000000001 XMR (1 piconero). It is decided to increase the smallest subunit to 0.000000001 XMR (1 nanonero) instead. X now holds 100000 XMR with the price down to $0.4USD/XMR.

My reasoning for this proposal is for "free" marketing (free in quotations because I am not certain about how hard this would be to coordinate in terms of both programming and relaying the changes over to exchanges): in recent times, cryptocurrencies that have low coin prices seem to be have been in major demand regardless of the resulting market cap (XRP) or their lack of usefulness (XVG). Monero has all the fundamentals in the right place, but it's lacking that marketing push that some of the other less developed coins have. I believe that this is a cost-effective means in which to attract mainstream interest in Monero (but of course I could be wrong).

Also I am not sure as to how far we should increase the subunit value or if we should remove subunit Monero entirely; I think increasing the subunit to a micronero would be ideal (so taking the previous example, X would now hold 100000000 XMR at $0.0004USD/XMR) but others may see differently both in terms of accepting any subunit change and as to how much we should increase the value if they do accept the change.

Of course, as far as I am aware, no major cryptocurrency has made a change like this and it could have unintended side effects. This is mainly just me throwing out an idea based on observations.

Replies: 2
flyup edited 6 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Using engineering time and skill to chase after the market is simply the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Your insight into decimal place trickery reveals the absolute ignorance the current market displays.

Reply to: flyup
Electricsheep edited 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Maybe this isn't a problem worth addressing right this moment but it is something that should be addressed in the future (people don't want to pay for stuff in decimals), no need for such a negative comment.

Also @g34gsh Bitcoin is looking into changing the denotations like you mentioned if I recall correctly.