Please login or register.

Blast from the past

MoneroWorld Digest 2/9/2015 – 2/16/2015

So, here we are, I did it again, so thats pretty awesome. In other development, I was approached by Fluffypony to become involved in missive podcasts! So, thats going to happen. We chatted today at some point and he's currently making it sound pretty. We never ironed out whether we would publish the podcast with this digest, so I'm just gonna go ahead and publish the digest. Because the missive contains (and will continue to contain, in the future) real in depth development information straight from the horses mouth (yes, the puns are hard to avoid), I'm going to focus the digest on the other stuff that I can glean from the interwebs.

Bitcointalk Digest: Pg 1025 - 1038

I get some love for putting together the MoneroWorld Digest, David gets some love for the content he's creating.

Does the price go down without missives? Or did the price spike with mymonero announcement? Not really

The Great MEW Website domain vote begins

From what I can tell, moneroeconomy.com wins

Jojatekok releases a Light wallet with full functionality

New Liberty digs up a conversation from around January 2nd that can be summed up with “privacy is not about lawbreaking, its about privacy

Another cryptocurrency, Hyperstake, uses OpenAlias (via a bot by moneromoo)

Monero's one year brthday is approaching!!! April 28th 2015. How should we celebrate?

Don't know if its related, but the next post requests a 3 minute video explaining monero. Some suggests the magic wallet, I suggest an animated video. Another wishes the viewkeys would actually work. Down later in the thread, someone says we're partying at the castle!!

5K USD$ XMR/DRK guy comes back and rubs in our faces that he's DRK choice paid off.

This ignites standard grumblings from the choir.

Brainstorming re: mimicing DRK masternode marketing ployI offer some more brainstorms, opens up conversation about viewkeysI also get schooled on their/there, and instantly get the radiohead song in my head

Monero mnemonic seeds will be in sooo many languages but we need to help compile the word lists

1 year anniverary = buy more coins! Also talk about what the name of the new client is. Purse? I counter that I've never seen a tidy purse. I proposed briefcase, someone replies handbag, or smart wallet

David Latapie links to article re: VC's on price of bitcoin, applicable to monero

Monero subreddit has a subscription spikeTheory proposed that DRK spike has brought attention to other private cryptocurrencies Someone posts a SYNC list demonstrating lotsa nodes.

listofnodes

My list of sync nodes never looks like that..... are all my ports open?

But perhaps its the instant transaction feature of DRK that is attracting people

Call to forget about Darkcoin, and have monero focus on own issues – GUI wallet, SPV wallet, and memory bloat blockchain I respond with a screenshot of my database-version of bitmonerod running with 100 megs of ram. Jojatek sez hey I made this GUI thing

Apparently DRK has an outreach twitter account thats doin stuff

The Forum From Scratch has failed, why not just make a clone of bitcointalk simplemachines forum is raised again

Fluffy responds: the features your missing, and reasons behind decision to create new forum revolve around security, scalability. Also, github will be open soon Alternative proposal: temporary forum until super awesome custom forever forum is built In general, a lot of back and forth on forum software, forum vs. reddit style, etc A gentle criticism of official monero forum and websites at this point of time xmr is seen at best as an elitist project and at worst as a lame duck (no gui, old looking internet presence) - the core group knows why, especially regarding protocol it all takes time, but there is nothing wrong with a better website. The what-you-see-is-what-you-get WYSIWYG is pretty cool though

One take, presented in cartoon form:

Toon

But why doesn't someone just create a simple machines forum for monero? Execute instead of complain? Well, perhaps because “the community is united and (would) rather use something provided by the core team Exactly, we need consensus, not 10 more websites/forums Following the other coins and leaving bitcointalk is the worst idea ever

(To those reading this prior to podcast publishing, Fluffy talks about this and it makes sense)

Contracts on cryptonote protocol whitepaper thing again Immediately reminded that the whitepaper had too many flaws. And apparently the author never directly contacted the team

Someone proposes www.xmr.website domain name for sale Someone else cries out “no more domains please!!

Theory presented that mid december spike was due to beginning of DB test drive. Followed by – when is it getting merged?

Response: the DB has been stable for a month, and the problem is making it work in windows because Bill Gates is secretly the daemon

An excellent – “hey, maybe you should try debugging some stuff in this open source project instead of just being frustrated that stuff isn't working” – response to something

David Latapie continues writing excellent literature about Monero

Looks like domain prospecting has started

And for the great deal of 2500 XMR, you can get a package of domains that cost 10$!! A hero comes along, offering free monero related domains in order to combat “ransoming”

The open source community isn't a big fan of this tactic

David Latapie reminds everyone how easy monero is to install in linux

All you have to do is copy and paste this code into the terminal – eveything inside the quotes “cd ~ && rm -f install_monero.sh && wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Quanttek/install_monero/master/install_monero.sh && bash install_monero.sh”

A reminder that windows users aren't idiots, they just enjoy software and hardware compatibility

Turns out, efforts were made to make compiling in windows easy

Someone offers hosting openaliases at moneroaddress.org for 10 XMR a year. Now why didn't I think of that?

Jehst does the divide-daily-trade-volume-by-market-cap analysis, proves that XMR has awesome liquidity

David Latapie gets some love for his literature

It turns out the core team is really really serious about security, and if you put the wrong email into the password reset thing for mymonero, it won't tell you its the wrong email, because then obvious exploit

Some critiques and a vision for Monero community / brand

“A good looking website, a good looking forum, and we need the DB and then the GUI” Don't these contradict one another Lets collaborate and get some things done outside of the core dev team. The forums not that bad. Are we on slack? Yes, we're on slack.

A lot summed up with: All I want is a way to pay for cam girls without my wife potentially finding out--is that too much to ask?

Oh the puns

Exploration of bitcoin fancy privacy apps vs. monero “Benefits of HD wallets are safe backups...

More puns!

Is this a shapeshift.io reference? No, its specific for XMR!!! What is it?????

Some trolls get bullied

bter is reportedly down And a lot of theories are put forward, including aliens.

On a side note, I immediately pull all my XMR from polo.

People start using xmrmonero forums, but noones there to implement changes apparently

”#Monero”:

Some talk on wordlists for mneumonic seeds
I get help making my wallet PC talk to my daemon PC
Some type of lock signature can be used to create bonds
People advertise different faucets
I get some lessons in tunneling
davidlatapie announces he's making a monero manual
People report they still can't register on forum.monero.cc
A lot of trading talk due to DRK spike
David L's analysis of ring sigs, zero knowledge proofs, coinjoin
Someone gets some help setting up their openalias
More talk re: wordlists
Discussion about using Monero / Cryptonote as a voting system
Multiple addresses in bitcoin compared to single address of monero
Lots of people raining XMR on everyone.
A bug pops up in tippero, moneromoo fixes immediately
someone thinks we need a presence in the poloniex box
Hey, we should use more exchanges. OTC is good too.
Points raised regarding POS coins, securities fraud, and exchanges. Gov's could just sieze 51% of the total coin supply.
New idea for bookie bet on tippero – when will an exchange get hacked?
Rubberhose cryptanalysis keeps making appearances. I should google this.
Discussion re: how many computers are hashing on the networking. David L's workin on somethin.

”#Monero-dev”:

Jojatekok and moneromoo work out some transaction ID stuff for Joja's GUI, fluffypony eventually comes along. Joja proposes a txid->string map, so you know what you've spent and where, all in your wallet software (so not in the public database). Would enable accounting.
Mneumonic seed words here too!
Someone's gonna write love letters with desoxyibonucleic
Chatter about how to prevent slightly different IRC user name scam thing. Bots can do it somehow.
Warptangent has some commits.
Jojatekok looks like he's debugging his GUI s'more. Lots of folks help out.
Jojatekok really goin to town on the mobile wallet effort.
Ooh, pedantics back in regards to a push request of a branch that apparently no one has tested.
Never ever do a force push! (obvious jokes follow)

Super secret channel of awesomesauce:

Apparently a lot of stuff is getting merged into master and things are getting real. All of the rest of it is waaayy too technical and I'd just be rambling nonsense if I were to report it.

Fun thing I didn't know regarding linux and memory

Fun Facts!

Across all IRC channels I was reporting on, there were 41 unique individuals actively participating in conversation over the week.

Approximately 15 XMR was rained (just given out)

Exactly 3.0953493449 XMR was tipped.

Stats!! This week (last week) : % change

Market cap: 6621 (7011) BTC : -5.56
Price: 0.00105336 (0.00113623) BTC : -7.3
24 hr volume: 39 (61) BTC: -36.1
Network hashrate: 11.31 (11.97) Mh/sec: -5.51
Difficulty: 711620081 (753316388): -5.54
Coingecko rank: 13 (13): 0
Blockchain height: 439520 (429629)
Last reward: 11.5973 (11.7072) XMR

Network Distribution

Big pools Small pools

Comparison

Coinmarketcap grab

Donations

Holy cheeseballs this took almost 4 hours. But I also managed to get my openalias to work.
Gingeropolous.payxmr.com

46aRPgXEgqf23G2VU5fy4oeKBGpU6uXSv57CkXKrz4EbDwDeh573QQhZYeyjriWAMUhNoBHMUwkGV2A2ppWwAx4JT9HNJ9h

And if you want to include a payment ID, here's one:

45766572796f6e652073686f756c6420757365204d6f6e65726f212121212121

Which is the hex conversion of:
Everyone should use Monero!!!!!!

Replies: 0