Please login or register.

New to Monero mining

Hi everyone,

I've downloaded Monero and have everything in sync. I'm using xmrMiner for Win64 (installed CUDA and using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M) and the Monero GUI to mine, with minemxr.com showing my hashrate at around 180 H/sec for my GPU mining. The Monero software shows mining at ~90 H/sec using 8 cores on the CPU.

The pool is showing 9293721 shares accepted (what does that mean exactly?) and I'm starting to think I'm making no difference whatsoever, and the chances of making some XMR in the process seem infinitesimally small. Then again I have no idea.

I have a business friend "donating" some electricity if I want to mine, so I was thinking of a GPU rig. Any recommendations, and how would I achieve a rate of at least 1MH/sec (if that's possible with GPU...)? If I can get some megahashes/sec going, I think I might actually begin to contribute to Monero and mine some XMR, however small.

Thank you!

Replies: 2
monerominer7 posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Think I figured it out. I won't get Mhash/sec by myself unless I run a large pool or have a supercomputer. I think the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core CPUs with 32MB L3 cache would be a good way to go for the cryptonight memory-hard algorithm. 16 cores each with 2MB L3 cache memory to work with, not bad for a high end consumer PC. The best we'll get for a while without spending more than $5000 on a mining rig anyway.

Thomasmcdaniel9 posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

So are you using cpu to mine or gpu i didn't quit understand what you where saying