Please login or register.

Does openalias defy privacy?

I appreciate a lot all of the good intentions of the Monero team about preserving privacy and secrecy of personal monetary transactions. Therefore I'm quite confused about some architectural choices, and I'd be very reliefed to make some sense of them. If I reuse always the same address to receive payments, or even use and reuse a single alias it becomes quite clear to everybody, and in particolar to governative agencies, that I have a Monero account. In case of a giuridic event I might be forced to expose the transactions and the balance of that account. Worst, some ill intentioned delinquent could command me to show him the balance and then mandate me to transfer value to his account. On the contrary if nobody knows that I have an account I can always say that I have none. I mean, wouldn't be better to use ever changing adresses?

Replies: 1
moneromooo posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I'm not sure what you're asking, but a single linking of you to a monero address is sufficient to make it clear you have a monero address. If you want to use more than one address for any reason, you can also do that. For the sake of clarity, if you receive many payments to the same address, this will not be visible on the blockchain, where all transfers are to one time addresses from which one can't deduce your "real" address.