Milestone 14 includes ~120 billed hours, sporadically, through the dates 2018-10-01 and 2018-11-15. As usual, I've donated more hours than what I've billed but I've also been occupied with IRL events such as massive back taxes because no one in this community mentioned that XMR is taxed on the time-and-date they are received (not just when they are sold)!!!! I'm not a financial wizard nor a tax attorney so, maybe this info was already common knowledge in the community, I don't know. Regardless, the markets are screwing almost all of us, so I'm sure I'm not the only person getting fucked.
This milestone was a big set-back to immediate code development but a huge leap forward to necessary project development and future code development (FYI, this was brought on by the Monero community). For the majority of my next milestone, I intend to return to the kovri repo to work on code, PRs, and whiteboarding of the various APIs.
Some highlights of this milestone:
- After a funding meeting with 5 people from the Kovri Project team, we decided to move on creating The Kovri Fund. This repository is a WIP fund that (until it can replaced by decentralized crowdfunding) will act as an escrow'd crowdfunding system where contributors can work on Kovri while having the option of being paid in 5 leading cryptocurrencies (XMR among them) or in fiat (method TBD). This should vastly expand contributor potential for Kovri Project since the software is cryptocurrency-agnostic / application-agnostic.
- Along with requisite collaboration and negotiations, this milestone also saw the formation of the Kovri Core Team; consisting of myself, Luke, and Sean. We are in the process of securing technology and creating a standardized process to handle multisig wallets for all escrowed cryptocurrencies.
- API + code-related research / study
- Add more subdomains (repo.kovri.io + list.kovri.io) / collab with Luke
- Gitlab-CI / gitlab runner + Docker / shell executor, research/testing/deployment for Linux
- Backend development to satisfy new Boost 1.67+ requirements / backend overhaul
- Frontend updating / maintenance of kovri-site (thanks to Luke's streamlined ssh/shell process)
- Kovri Core Team collaboration / project planning / funding & cryptocurrency planning
- Collaboration for storage options / distributed options / multisig options
- Establishing a protocol by creating templates and HOWTOs (see the kovri-fund repo)
- Kovri-docs: create/add unit-test writing section to dev guide
- Meeting scheduler research (so we can automate meetings)
- Monero "outreach" research as it relates to kovri
- Monero multisig wallet debugging with moneromooo + rbrunner (https://github.com/monero-project/monero/issues/4846), needed resolved so I can work toward kovri integration
- Monero testnet study for kovri/monero integration testing
- Project management discussion with Diego, one-on-one collab with Sonia
- Public relations training for Sonia, between Diego and myself, via a number of conference calls (no one in Monero Outreach would lift a finger for Kovri, so we needed to go our own route).
- Research/setup new keybase account for kovri keybase team
- Tor tests/doc review + Tor/Katzenpost research
- Write Milestone #13 report
- Write Milestone #14 report
- distcc setup testing for backend build
- kovri onion creation collab + tweet onion/garlic sites
- kovri-slack relay maintenance / backend machine maintenance
- also research/test Slack meeting apps
- kovri.i2p backend / collab with Luke
- njalla maintenance / collab with Luke
Note: nearly all of our collaboration is now done via secure side-channels instead of the public IRC/Slack channels.
Much of my work is now pushed directly to the kovri-project repos instead of pull requested. See commits to kovri-site, kovri-docs, kovri-meta, kovri-fund, and kovri repositories.
In addition to those commits, consider the following:
- https://github.com/miniupnp/miniupnp/issues/313 (a Kovri dependency that must be secured)
- https://github.com/monero-project/research-lab/issues/31 (as it relates to kovri-meta/#3)
Required by the community but UNBILLED
I'm still leading Monero's VRP team and keep busy with related development including Coverity backend, report review handling, and all that comes with the job. CURRENTLY NOT BILLED.
Applicable channels for this milestone:
For GitLab/Hub-recorded details (commits, pull requests, issues, discussions, etc.), see my activity pages for the dates in question:
Other useful information may also be on twitter: