Please login or register.

Open source AMD miner by Wolf0

Introduction

Who - Wolf0, renowned miner developer. Worked on the original monero solo miner and the nvidia miner. Also responsible for mining software for many other algos.

What - Open source AMD miner for Monero with solo mining support.

Why - The only AMD miner is Claymore's, and its closed source and also has a fee. In order to increase the strength of the Monero network, we need as much hashpower as we can get. Furthermore, GPU solo mining may increase the number of people running full solo nodes. Finally, Wolf0 is an excellent mining software developer with a proven track record, and has found some flaws in the monero pool software and is interested in creating a new monero pool software / architecture that will both correct these flaws and provide a means to allow an individual miner to confirm that the pool is honest. Getting him on board with this project will hopefully spur further developments.

Amount: 5750 XMR.

Milestones / Payouts / Timeframe:

1 - Working OpenCL implementation. Payout: 1000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 days

2 - Host code and pool interface. Payout 2000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 weeks

3 - Performance on a 290x. 400 h/s = 500 XMR. 400-500 h/s = 750 XMR. 500-600 h/s 1000 XMR. 600-750 h/s 2000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 weeks.

4 - Solo mining support. Payout: 750 XMR. Timeframe: open-ended

Conditions for payouts:

1 - it works. Code is released open source. License to be determined, but it will NOT be GPL. Perhaps MIT or WTFPL.

2 - Software is released open source via github. Compiled binaries are released for all major platforms. Software is as user friendly as possible. Software can be customized using configuration files.

update

beta of first versions https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner/releases/tag/0.1

Replies: 54
Shrikez edited 8 years ago Weight: -176 | Link [ + ]

Glad to see this is finally happening. However I'd like to see more challenging numbers as for the performance and related payouts. What is also missing in my opinion is the power draw issue. 10% faster at 10% more power is still nice but would leave pretty much only the Open Source factor as important improvement (which of course would still be great). Just throwing this out there, will donate whether these issues get picked up or not.

EDIT: I think it would be very useful if AMD miners with the possibility to do that would provide Wolf0 with numbers for power draw and performance with Claymore's. As soon as I get my hands on my tools I can provide numbers for 280x (in about 10 days from now)

Dufkin posted 8 years ago Weight: -176 | Link [ + ]

Awesome. I really like the idea that we are funding both Nvidia and ATI miner so that no one gets left behind with non-open-source miner. I'll donate some as soon as the project started. I am really curious which of the two funded miners will be ready to use first and also which one will get better perfomance ;-)