Please login or register.

Improved NVIDIA mining software

Primary Milestones:

1. Overall software architecture (1000-1500 XMR): 2 weeks

A) Open source software that is nice, clean, well written and documented code that will be easy to maintain and work on; a pleasure for others to jump in and contribute going forward.

B) Cross-platform compatible. e.g. works on apple, linux, microsoft. Binaries available for all platforms when code is released.

C) Parameters can be completely tuned. The software should be designed so that miners can change every value with a config file to tweak settings for their particular hardware. This will possible extend the useful life of the software.

D) Limited dependencies for compiling, and required dependencies must be available via package managers. 100 xmr will be deducted for each dependency required, max 500.

E) Works on as much available hardware as possible. All Maxwell architecture is a must.

F) Works as a solo miner - is able to communicate directly with the monero wallet software. EDITED - Solo mining requires working with the daemon. Sorry for the confusion.

2) Mining performance (up to 3500 XMR) 1 year (open ended)

A) Hash rates reach the price point equivalent of Claymore's AMD GPU miner. Currently the highest reported hashrates are 745 h/s for the Sapphire R9 290X, which at the time of writing is a $350 GPU. The NVIDIA pricepoint equivalent is the GTX 970. Existing hashrate of a GTX 970 is ~400 h/s.

So, there was an initial stall due to djm34 not understanding the milestones, so we talked it out. Review the conversation for yourself to determine if you think we are ready to move to the funding stage.

We modified the hashrate funding curve, such that its linear to the first +100 h/s with a payout of 750 xmr, so the calculation is

hashrate / 0.1333333 = payout

then it goes to

hashrate / 0.18 = payout

so,

A) +100 h/s (compared to existing 970 gtx) = 750 xmr
B) +200 h/s = 2025
C) + 300 h/s = 3037
D) + 346 h/s = AMD 290x equivalence = 3500 xmr

These milestones are incremental, so if 2A is met, then payout 750. Then if 2B is met, and 2A has been paid out, its 2025 - 750, etc.

With djm34's permission, I am copying our conversation for your review.

LINK TO PASTEBIN

So please, respond to express whether you think this is ready for moving to funding.

EDITED TO ADD:

FYI - This a non refundable system. If, for whatever reason, things don't work out, the funds are kept for future developers to receive.

Replies: 27
hyc posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Nvidia solo mining works now, with bitmonerod v0.9.4 and this branch https://github.com/hyc/ccminer-cryptonight

That aside, it would still be a good idea to bring this code more up to date and remove unnecessary dependencies.

Gingeropolous posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Any community input regarding how much @hyc should get for getting the solo miner to work? I kinda made that first milestone vague and not easy to single out individual pieces. @hyc, whats a fair number?

Reply to: Gingeropolous
antw081 posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I can't speak for anyone else. But I'm definitely happy for the 200XMR I donated to this fund to go to hyc.

rocco posted 8 years ago Weight: -97 | Link [ - ]

nvidia solo mining would be so cool, cant wait for this. has implementation allready started?

Dufkin posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -180 | Link [ - ]

so we finally have a 100 % ?? :)

Reply to: Dufkin
dEBRUYNE posted 8 years ago Weight: -171 | Link [ - ]

Looks like it :-)

opennux posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -206 | Link [ + ]

Maybe the hashrate funding curve needs a bit of tweaking, if we want more bids on this? Just getting some banter here.

If someone is able to improve the software to such a degree, then one would need more reason than the equivalent in hashrate funding curve to to release it to the public. If one was to do it primarily for the money (hence needing funding and not just doing it pro bono) I'd assume it's better business to keep it to yourself for a longer period of time. There probably is improved software around, but private?

Reply to: opennux
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -206 | Link [ + ]

sp_ has private kernal mods, but they only get +50 h/s on 750 tis, and the improvements don't scale with more expensive cards. There might be more private ones out there for sure, but there's no way of knowing.

If you can propose another funding curve, awesome! I think what would really get things moving is a higher payoff for increased hashrate, but the support doesn't seem to be there on the funding side. I don't think there are many nvidia GPU farms mining monero, so even if the software was released privately (which @djm34 said he doesn't do, so thats awesome!) there wouldn't be a large market.

Reply to: Gingeropolous opennux
Dufkin edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -111 | Link [ - ]

Are there any information available about the current status? :-)

Reply to: Dufkin Gingeropolous opennux
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -111 | Link [ - ]

i haven't heard from djm34, and last time I reached out on IRC he didn't respond. At one point he seemed focused on milestone 1 and was attempting the solo mining thing, but then learned of the 0mq thing and here we are.

Reply to: Gingeropolous Dufkin Gingeropolous opennux
Dufkin posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -108 | Link [ - ]

Thanks for the Info and your effort gingeropolous. What is "0mq" ?

Reply to: Dufkin Gingeropolous Dufkin Gingeropolous opennux
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -107 | Link [ - ]

its the new intrasoftware communications protocol that monero will eventually use.

Dufkin posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -212 | Link [ + ]

Just sent some xmr. Unfortunately, it is only a small contribution that I can offer, since my mining hardware is not the best. However, I hope that more people will contribute to this project even if it is only a small amount. :) Personally, I see this as an investment for a better hashingrate that a lot of people, including me, will probably profit from someday

Reply to: Dufkin
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -211 | Link [ + ]

every little bit counts!

antw081 posted 8 years ago Weight: -224 | Link [ + ]

200XMR sent.

Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Weight: -229 | Link [ + ]

Just contributed 1000XMR myself, I look forward to this project.

AJIekceu4 posted 8 years ago Weight: -230 | Link [ + ]

1000 XMR sent

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -230 | Link [ + ]

JUST FYI: Sending in funds to the forum funding system is non-refundable. If, for whatever reason, the project fails, the funds are kept for future developers to receive.

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -239 | Link [ + ]

Todays the day! Hopefully this gets moved to the funding needed section......

ping @fluffypony.

Reply to: Gingeropolous
fluffypony posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -238 | Link [ + ]

I'm on it :)

Reply to: fluffypony Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -233 | Link [ + ]

blorp

Reply to: Gingeropolous fluffypony Gingeropolous
fluffypony posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -233 | Link [ + ]

HELLO FRIENDZ!

We have a small moving threads niggly that we're busy fixing, as it's preventing me from moving this thread. If we don't fix it tonight I'll create a new thread tomorrow!

Reply to: fluffypony Gingeropolous fluffypony Gingeropolous
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -232 | Link [ + ]

its just me bugging yah :) cause everyone else just noticed when the old thread disappeared, but hasn't really been chiming in on this one. Why am I so persistent with the mining? I dunno. because network. That and there's no new stuff to read on any of the Monero channels.

And I just want to point this out so its clear for all possible funders and developers - the funding for increased hashrate is going to be open ended - that is, in a years time, if someone gets the hashrate up on this hardware, the xmr will be paid. And the funding is priced in XMR. So if XMR moonshots, we could be paying someone a bajillion dollars for their work.

Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Weight: -242 | Link [ + ]

This looks excellent to me, and I will definitely be contributing to the fund. I believe GPU mining is important for our ecosystem.

grimpants posted 8 years ago Weight: -248 | Link [ + ]

I really like this proposal!

This and the 'fund a dev' that moo's working on will do wonders for Monero.

fluffypony posted 8 years ago Weight: -249 | Link [ + ]

Ok I'm happy with creating a funding thread for this, fine with milestones etc. I'll give everyone till Monday to mull it over and provide their input.