Please login or register.

Noether brothers: IEEE workshop

WHAT

The IEEE Security & Privacy on the Blockchain (SPB) workshop is coming up. The event focuses on scaling, privacy, and applications of blockchain technologies and distributed ledgers, focusing particularly on the security and efficiency of current and future implementations. It takes place at University College London on April 23, 2018.

WHY

Several of the talks have potential applications to Monero research. Besides the direct benefit from being present at the workshop talks, we've found at previous academic events that having our researchers in attendance builds strong relationships with other researchers and institutions in ways that benefit the project. As I've said before, face-to-face academic conferences and workshops remain the single best method of knowledge exchange for researchers, and I'm confident we will bring back applicable information to share with all of you and help direct future research efforts. We will be happy to discuss the workshop in detail at the following weekly research meeting and answer any questions about the talks.

WHO

After discussion here, on IRC, and on r/Monero, there was general agreement to send both me (Sarang Noether) and Surae Noether to the workshop if the full funding amount is reached.

HOW MUCH

The cost for each of us includes airfare, workshop registration, meals, and incidental expenses (e.g. public transit). Lodging will be shared. I used the standard U.S. GSA government rate tables to determine amounts for lodging, meals, and incidentals, as is typical and expected for such requests. Travel dates are April 21 to April 24, to take advantage of inexpensive airfare.

• Total flights: 1340 USD (Sarang is 720 USD, Surae is 620 USD)
  • Shared lodging: 648 USD (2 nights @ 324 USD/night)
  • Total M&IE: 1188 USD (3 days @ 198 USD/day/person)
  • Total registration: 310 USD (155 USD/person)
  • TOTAL: 3486 USD

Using an exchange rate estimate of 162 USD/XMR, the total request is for 22 XMR, a rounded amount since the forum still won't let me use decimal values. If there is significant market activity during the fundraising period, I can adjust this amount.

EDIT: Flight amounts were updated to reflect updated ticket prices. Lodging was reduced to 2 nights, since I apparently don't know how time zones work.

Replies: 11
nioc edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

checked out the conference and from what little I know it is high level and importantly it is focused on privacy and security in blockchains. This seems like the very thing that MRL is focused on.

I am in favor of sending both Surae and Surang to this conference.

lh1008 edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I'm in favor for both of you go to the conference. Any latest updates, news, or events regarding privacy are important to the monero community.

antw081 edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I am happy to help fund both Surae & Surang to this conference.

Reply to: antw081
antw081 edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Donated.

keatonofthedrake edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Good to donate as well

SarangNoether edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

The post was edited and simplified to reflect its move to Funding Required.

ViolentlyPeaceful edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Sent 0.7 XMR to the super cool Noether brothers :)

> face-to-face academic conferences and workshops remain the single best method of knowledge exchange for researchers, and I'm confident we will bring back applicable information to share with all of you and help direct future research efforts.

This should be reason enough for everyone to donate!

drfred edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

donation sent. is the amount collected not updating properly atm?

Reply to: drfred
ViolentlyPeaceful edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

> donation sent. is the amount collected not updating properly atm?

I believe FFS' daemon wasn't updated to the new version (v12), which is why we don't see the correct value.

Reply to: ViolentlyPeaceful drfred
drfred edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

aaaaah, that makes sense. thx!

SarangNoether edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

This posting has been updated to reflect more recent flight costs, and to change the lodging to 2 nights. Time zones are hard, apparently.