Please login or register.

Monero Hardware Wallet Support (Ledger Nano S or Official Ri[...]

What is this?

While an existing unofficial trezor monero firmware was released, it is not being maintained and will not be compatible once the network hard-forks to make RingCT transactions mandatory (scheduled for September). Additionally, it requires further massaging before it is ready to be merged upstream, which ideally would be funded through this proposal.

Alternatively, the Ledger Nano S is a good target for Hardware Wallet support. The CTO of Ledger has expressed support and willingness to assist in the development of monero integration on the Ledger Nano S / Ledger Blue platform.

> btchip: I'm also willing to help developers who'd like to work on porting the code - we have a Slack for that you can join at http://slack.ledger.co - just be aware that our Secure Element is significantly slower (20 MHz vs 100 MHz for the stm32) so the existing code might need some massaging to use our accelerated big numbers code to be truly usable.
> btchip: And if nobody is interested, I'll probably do it myself or give it as a training mission to someone internally since the topic of having new crypto at the application level is interesting and not really explored so far, and the groundwork done with the existing TREZOR integration will definitely help, so thanks for that.

This proposal could even be used to incentivize the ledger team to implement/maintain monero support in their product.

There has been vocal community support for a hardware wallet in several reddit threads, however the main roadblock to implement monero hardware wallet support has been a lack of capable/willing developers. It is also not clear what level of financial support would be needed for this effort, as without a willing developer, it is also necessary to recruit one.

NoodleDoodle is an obvious candidate for such an effort, as he may already be underway with Ledger Nano S integration.

However, it's not clear if this effort is still underway - so a primary developer working on Monero Hardware wallet support seems to be needed to make the final push to make this a reality.

I look forward to hearing the community's feedback on this proposal.

FUNDING

While a funding requirement is not yet known, several community members have already begun pledging in order to incentivize development.

• /u/vertp 100 XMR
  • /u/jedigras 100 XMR
Replies: 6
monerok posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

what is the budget estimate for a working HW implementation?

Reply to: monerok
monerowallet posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

200XMR has already been pledged, but I would estimate that the community could fund at least 1000XMR for a working, merged, ledger or trezor implementation (official).

Unofficial support for either could probably raise a similar if slightly smaller amount.

This is just my personal guess however, but I believe it be an extremely conservative one.

Snipa22 edited 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

While I make no promises, as C/C++ development is not my primary forte, as far as I'm aware, Trezor is wanting use to wait for the Trezor 2.0 firmware, I'm looking at getting started on Ledger Nano S support this weekend into next week. The pool project is formally wrapped up at the moment, and I should be getting started onto the Ledger support.

Reply to: Snipa22
monerowallet posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Great to hear that you're at least poking around with Ledger support. Last I heard you were still poking around with the trezor source, didn't realize you were checking out ledger as well!

Do let me know if you would like a ledger nano S or ledger blue sent your way, I would be happy to sponsor a device for you.

Good luck!

Reply to: monerowallet Snipa22
Snipa22 posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

With Trezor wanting us to keep things on hold for the next version, I picked up a Nano S to play with. :)

monerowallet posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I am willing to pledge 100 XMR for official trezor integration of Ledger Nano S support off the bat.

/u/jedigras on reddit will match me - so we're at 200 XMR already.