Please login or register.

Monero site facelift

Hi guys. I decided to try and put together some free templates and scripts to make a proposal for new version of Monero website. Of course it's just a draft to propose some ideas. I noticed few trendy tricks on different crypto currency sites and used them.

I put it here: http://aiwe.pl/monero/

What do you think?

It can be used to make a new template for website.

> Maybe you could use your skills to help improve the getmonero.org website/forum? Just a thought, it would give you some work and we would get to see what you can do. I'm sure this could be a good way for the community to fund it, and it would be nice to have some more people dedicated on improving our main websites.

https://forum.getmonero.org/3/merchants-and-marketplace/362/for-hire-offering-my-services-as-a-web-developer-and-with-extra-discount-when-paid-with-monero?page=&noscroll=1#post-1722

Replies: 3
fluffypony posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

A couple of things that jump out at me:

• That site is insanely chunky on slightly older mobile devices, almost unusable
  • It doesn't work at all on TorBrowser due to heavy JS requirements
  • A lot of the "trendy tricks" on cryptocurrency sites are the very thing that make them look like scams
  • A full page load of that site is 458kb, vs. the current site's 143kb

The Monero site design is open source and is definitely open to modifications / changes / a complete rework, but any design would have to have the following characteristics if a merge is to be considered:

• It has to include styles for the forum as well as the site, including all the different types of pages currently in use
  • It has to be lightweight enough to load quickly on slow Internet connections (we have visitors from all over the world)
  • It has to be lightweight enough to load quickly on all sorts of devices, old and new
  • It has to be fully functional both with and without Javascript
  • Stylistically I believe we should aim for inviting and friendly, yet informational and helpful, rather than overly "slick"
Reply to: fluffypony
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

agreed with all those points. However, I am a fan of the one suggestion to remove the "latest news" section from the homepage. As others have suggested, makes it look out of date, and puts a lot of pressure on the maintainer (i.e., @fluffypony) to keep the website looking fresh. Which is entirely not necessary. I hate to use the bitcoin as reference, but the bitcoin.org site does a good job.

For now, I think if we removed the "what is monero" and "latest news", and just shifted the three green blocks up, we would have a winner.

Now if I could just find where those are in the github.

Aiwe posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Thanks for your time and very comprehensive reply. It should be stickied as a guideline for the site development.

Starting to love this community even more.