Please login or register.

More GUI coding

WHO

QT/UX developer. Active in the community via IRC/Reddit (mostly in dev channels).

Github profile

I am the author of the black-theme, or at least the QT implementation of it. This work has been documented in an earlier FFS (25 XMR).

This FFS proposal outlines the work I'm planning to do.

WHAT

The recently released v12.0 Monero GUI has seen UX improvements and had been in development for 5 months. Now that it has been released, I plan to further iterate on this work by:

• Improving the GUI
    • Redesigning the onboarding (start-up wizards)
    • Theme/color scheme switching
    • Refactoring of existing code
    • Mobile support
    • Modifying existing pages
    • HW Ledger support (?)
    • Fixing existing bugs
  • Collaborate together with graphic designers
    • Reach consensus with the community before big changes
  • Collaborate with other Monero contributors
  • Maintain the issue tracker over at the monero-gui on GitHub.
    • Debug issues
    • Support users
    • Maintain tickets
  • Community support on Reddit
  • Draft up a coding style for the GUI

WHY

The current iteration (v12) of the Monero GUI can still improve in many areas. I have ideas, as outlined above and also the community has ideas as to what direction the GUI should move towards.

I would like to continue my work on the GUI as a Javascript/QML developer and introduce more features and make it more reliable.

HOW MUCH

32 XMR against a hourly rate of 50$ per hour. I'm aiming for 20 hours a week of development. The hourly rate has been increased from my previous FFS (25->50).

Upon reaching funding, I'd receive 12 XMR for:

• the extra hours I made during v12's crunch time.
  • 4 more XMR for Kneuffulbund, designer of the black-theme.

The remaining balance will be spend on clearing the to-do's as shown above, working on what has priority.

• In the event that hours are made without proper progression to show for, I will not bill these.
  • A monthly summary report will be provided.
Replies: 10
dsc edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Second update;

• 2 weeks - #1511 Redesign settings
  • few days - https://github.com/monero-ecosystem/qml-xmr

Spent quite some time making the settings page. Probably more than what is specified above. Firstly, I made it via Qt Creator. This included some bad practices in QML. I then got fed up with my workflow and made a dedicated program to quickly mock up UI components; qml-xmr.

Nevertheless, the settings page has been rebuilt from the ground up and should provide a less cluttered user experience. It is scheduled for release v0.13.0. For those that can't wait; compile master.

My first update.

Firstly, thanks for the contributions. I'm quite happy to work on the GUI as a contributor :)

I worked on the following, which should make the point release (12.1):

30 hours spent - will claim 6.8 monero (favorable for the fund, since the price increased)

Next update should be next week or the weekend after that.

The proposal has been edited:

1. 65 XMR -> 32 XMR
  2. Initial release: 15 XMR -> 12 XMR
Reply to: ViolentlyPeaceful

Sure!

The GUI is responsive, meaning, the design can be resized and the UI components will scale/move accordingly. Jaqueeee previously did great work to ensure the design was responsive, however, since the new black theme brought in loads of changes, this responsiveness was only partly accounted for.

You can try to resize the GUI to a point where the screen size is small and watch the UI try to keep up. This is what I want to work on.

As for actually releasing for mobile, this involves app/play store accounts, developer licences etc. Currently being worked on. I'm guessing it will become iOS and Android.

Reply to: keatonofthedrake dsc keatonofthedrake

It could happen I work more (or less). I agree that with 10 weeks, monthly updates dont make much sense. Can be replaced for a bi-weekly update, or even weekly.

Funds are released when progress is made that I can show for (code getting into master, screenshots, bugfixes, etc). As for the updates themselves; They'd show the hours billed per deliverable. This will be hard for things like tracking time spent on maintaining issues on GitHub - I will try to be as clear as possible.

Reply to: dsc keatonofthedrake
keatonofthedrake edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hey I am 100% ok with funding anyone that is looking to help improve Monero. I dont know how to code so this is my way of contributing.

How many weeks are you looking to work for? Your above request is for 65 XMR at $50 per hour so that comes out to at the current XMR rate of $165 would be approx $10,700. Dividing that by $50 an hour would give approx 214 working hours.This gives us a little over 10.7 weeks of work. (I hope my approx math is correct)

Would you feel comfortable adding in a general followup every 3 weeks to give everyone an update on what you have been working on and advancements with the GUI?

I am just trying to figure out how this would work. Would there be an update at the end before funds are released?

Reply to: keatonofthedrake
dsc edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I see you contributed to my earlier FFS, for which I am grateful :) No milestones this time as a hourly rate has my preference. My previous FFS took a little longer than expected ^^.

long story short; personally I'd like my hours and effort to be rewarded, not milestones. However, I do understand that milestones are more tangible for the community. I understand it is a method to protect donated funds.

This FFS asks for the trust of you, or the community in me to deliver to the best of my abilities the ideas as outlined above, under supervision by the Monero team, the contributors, the community, via monthly reports and GitHub activity. Just as any other 'business' relationship cough.

antw081 edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Loved the Dark Theme. Using it right now. I'll be happy to help contribute to this FFS.

keatonofthedrake edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hey DSC, thanks for taking the initiative to continue the work on the GUI! Do you have certain milestones for payouts? It is going to be really hard to quantify payouts without a way to show work has progressed.

ViolentlyPeaceful edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Can you please develop more in the "Mobile support" front? What kind of mobile support are we expecting? I've heard before that the GUI was being ported to smartphones but this was a long time ago. Android? iOS? Both? None?