Please login or register.

Monero Observer - Weekly Recap For All Things Monero (Weekly[...]

This FFS has expired. 3.4 XMR was sent to the new Monero Moon FFS; the remainder (32.8) was sent to the general fund.

WHAT: Hi all, I am the author of Monero Observer, a Weekly Recap For All Things Monero (weekly newsletter). Monero Observer is a free weekly news publication released every Tuesday, created in an effort to keep the Monero community up to date on all the latest news and developments related to Monero. I aim to achieve this by aggregating all the relevant information into one convenient location in an easy-to-digest format. I sift through the noise so you don’t have to.

Monero Observer is currently fully operated, maintained, and funded by me. I have already published 4 issues in the last 4 weeks, with the 5th issue coming out in less than 24 hours. I currently have 200+ subscribers signed up, and the latest issue received over 1,000 downloads, which is growing more and more every issue.

The issue I am coming across is how much time is required to operate the weekly newsletter. I was hoping that that the donation system would provide enough of an incentive to keep me working hard for the community. While those who have donated have been extremely generous, I have so far received 8 donations total, totaling 2.5632 XMR. More importantly, I DO NOT want to start selling advertisements on the newsletter, as I want to keep the newsletter pure and focused on the content, so I am coming to the community with a proposal.

I want Monero Observer to be the official / unoffical weekly Monero newsletter funded by the Monero community.

WHO: In the spirit of privacy, I choose not to disclose who I am, but I am happy to share some background information about myself. Like many of you, I am a firm believer in Monero as it is the only cryptocurrency I personally own today. I have a Finance degree from a Business School and I am also a CFA Charterholder. I currently work in the financial services field. As someone with a finance background, what drew me to Monero is that not only is it secure and private, but it is the only cryptocurrency today that is truly fungible. And with the financial markets around the world being propped up by central banks for the last decade, I see the value in a currency such as Monero.

WHY: As Monero gains in popularity I believe it is extremely important for everyone (community members and outsiders looking in) to be able to closely follow along with all the latest news and developments surrounding Monero, whether its the latest community update from the Devs or if Monero was featured in a large media publication. And I believe Monero Observer will help bridge that gap. I believe having a Monero newsletter will be extremely beneficial to the growth and adoption of Monero as it should help spread awareness.

THE PROPOSAL AND MILESTONES: As Monero grows in popularity, it takes more and more time to put together a issue from start to finish. It currently takes me about 10-15 hours of work per issue.

My proposal is simple. I am proposing to publish the Monero Observer for 1 XMR per issue for the remainder of the year (48 issues remaining, 48 XMR total). At the current exchange rate of approximately $100 per XMR, that comes out to an hourly rate of $6.67 to $10 per hour which I believe is fair compensation.

The milestones are also simple, for every 12 issues I publish, 12 XMR is released. This comes out to 4 milestones total.

Milestone 1: Publish issues # 5 through 16 - 12 XMR

Milestone 2: Publish issues # 17 through 28 - 12 XMR

Milestone 3: Publish issues # 29 through 40 - 12 XMR

Milestone 4: Publish issues # 41 through 52 - 12 XMR

The proposal doesn't factor in other costs such as domain, web hosting, subscription services, etc, which I am happy to eat out of my own pocket.

I would also like to note that I will continue working hard on the Monero Observer regardless of whether I receive community funding or not. Thank you for your time. Cheers.

Update #1: Milestone 1 was achieved as issues #5 - #16 were published.

Replies: 13
kenshi84 edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Donated 1.01 XMR

dvchain edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

would gladly donate. Monero Observer is a fantastic newsletter.

Homer2000 edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Yes I would donate too.

TheseAreBetterDays edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Happy to donate if this gets to the funding stage.

anonimal edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

After reading every issue, the newsletters seem to be mostly a rehashing of reddit posts and info provided via reddit. And why is there almost zero coverage of kovri?

Reply to: anonimal
monerooby_doo edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hey, thank you for taking the time to read through it all! While a lot of the material does come from reddit, a good chunk is sourced through various crypto currency news websites, twitter, and google alerts I have setup. The goal is to simply be a weekly news recap and while I do sprinkle some commentary here and there, I am focusing on just relaying the news in an easy format.

There does seem to be a demand for this based off the reception I have received thus far as not everyone is plugged in and following all the news 24/7 so this provides a convienant solution for those people to follow and read up on Monero and help spread awareness. For some stats, as of now there are over 400 subscribers and the last 3 issues averaged well over 1,000 downloads each.

Re: Kovri, I have included major news on it in the past but I have not been following the development too closely unless there is a material update. I'll try to do a better job of following along going forward! Thanks again for your feedback.

Hueristic edited 5 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I sent you an email and have not heard back. I had noticed what I deem to be an error in last weeks issue so offered to proof before release. Did you get that email?

Keep up the good work, one day this will be in the history books.

Reply to: Hueristic

Thank you, replied to your email!

Reply to: Hueristic
Hueristic edited 5 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Reading Vol 12 what immediately jumped out at me is that Monero was accepted months ago at wiki leaks and according to your reporting it was just added this month which is Wrong. Dates are important to get correct if you want this to be taken seriously and to be used as a reference. I doubt you want this to be refereed to as being as factual as a wiki page.

> Wikileaks announced that it now accepts multiple crypto currencies, including Monero.

Reply to: Hueristic Hueristic

Sorry for delay in response, don't frequent this page much. You are correct, I will correct the error on my side.

fluffypony edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Donated 10 XMR from the general donation fund

ninjaxmr edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Donated.

scottrepreneur edited 5 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hi @monerooby_doo. Are you still aggregating your observations of monero? <3

Oh got busy. Understandable :-) https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/8njqxr/what_happened_to_the_monero_observer/