Please login or register.

Fund a Developer: moneromoo will work part-time on Monero fo[...]

moneromoo is well-known contributor with a string of commits and good pull requests: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master?author=moneromooo-monero

I personally support his application for funding, as does the rest of the core team. He has committed to working for 260 hours over 6 months or so (until they run out) at a total cost of 7800 XMR, ie. 30 XMR per hour. This is obviously a vastly reduced rate for a competent C / C++ developer, and moneromoo is taking on the effort in his spare time in the hopes that the XMR will be worth significantly more some day.

Milestones will be time based, with 1300 XMR released every 45 hours worked (or 35 hours for the last bit). As with all funding using the FFF (forum funding system) the funds will only be released to him on completion of a milestone and on a general community agreement that there was work done in that period. He will not be expected to put in a timesheet, per se, but he will be expected to provide a list of things he worked on and associated PRs / commits for that period.

Replies: 57
Reply to: nioc
moneromooo posted 8 years ago Weight: -95 | Link [ - ]

The voting code will stay as is for now. It will need changing to work with alt chains after the fork, but it's not quite clear how that's going to be done yet, as the naive version would use a lot of memory, so we're not going to wait for that.

Bassica posted 8 years ago Weight: -95 | Link [ - ]

Bravo!

nioc posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -95 | Link [ - ]

Monermoo thank you for your work. Looks like the funding for the next contract is right on time! I was more than happy to make a small contribution.

Does the hard fork voting code need to be finished before 0.9 is released?

moneromooo edited 8 years ago Weight: -94 | Link [ - ]

That's the last milestone gone - 35 hours, smaller than the previous one - to reach 260 hours total.

• some more hard fork voting code (it seems to never end)
  • adding various missing IPC to the 0MQ branch, and reviving all the missing daemon commands (not yet fully merged)
  • some wallet refresh performance work, which overflowed onto the new dev contract

Thanks for the sponsorship!

Reply to: moneromooo
Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Weight: -121 | Link [ - ]

Doing an awesome job there Moneromooo! I'm so glad to have you working on Monero, you have been playing a vital role in helping shape things up. Looks like you will finish soon and then maybe be able to go for a second round of development funding. :D

Reply to: Gingeropolous moneromooo
moneromooo posted 8 years ago Weight: -121 | Link [ - ]

Yes, I will be post about an extension very soon. I hope monero's cheap, yes. But then I was hoping it was last time too, so who knows. If I wanted a cheap price though, I think I could just announce "some time off" instead of putting so much time in, that'd work a lot better I think :P

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -121 | Link [ - ]

is someone trying to finish their funded proposal so they can make another proposal while monero's cheap? :)

moneromooo posted 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: -122 | Link [ - ]

I dumped several days full time into monero, and I'm already at 225 hours, with the following done since last milestone:

• last (hopefully) change on the hard fork voting code for compatibility for old daemons
  • a database dump tool to help spot differences between LMDB/BDB and the original in memory DB
  • fixes for a few RPC commands not working from the bitmonerod command line
  • conformance checks for words list (turns out the Spanish words list needs fixing, so not pushed yet)
  • versioning for LMDB and BDB formats
  • and the usual string of random fixes/tweaks
  • one can now set a custom default mixin in simplewallet

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

moneromooo edited 8 years ago Weight: -137 | Link [ - ]

Now at 180 hours, with the following since last update:

• more work on the hard fork code (functional changes (mixin/dust recommendations), and speedups on the initial scan)
  • a check_tx command (to complement the get_tx_key command)
  • blockchain_export can now export the blockchain's block hashes in a format that can be used by NoodleDoodle's fast sync code
  • improvements to existing tx/block query RPC to return JSON representations, and fixing print_block
  • misc other tweaks and fixes

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

Reply to: moneromooo dEBRUYNE moneromooo
dEBRUYNE posted 8 years ago Weight: -201 | Link [ - ]

Thanks for clarifying that!

Reply to: dEBRUYNE moneromooo
moneromooo posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -202 | Link [ - ]

Some strings of words from the list are invalid, as they cannot be generated by any key. But any seed generated from a key is valid. The test was using a random set of words, and assuming it was valid, which it turned out is incorrect with a very low probability.

dEBRUYNE edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -202 | Link [ - ]

> Another interesting bit was the mnemonics seed test, which failed on me. The test itself was actually wrong, and would fail with low probability: https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/bitmonero/commits/seed-test

Could you elaborate a bit here? Does that mean some seeds are invalid and can't be restored? Sorry, not really tech-savvy here, hence my question.

Great work btw, keep on going :)