Please login or register.

Monero Wallet for Chrome

Around a week ago I introduced a new wallet GUI for monero on /r/monero. I think it's about time I x-post that announcement here as well!

Introducing Monero Wallet for Chrome, a new browser extension to manage your local simplewallet!

Find it in the Chrome Store! (Pictures included)

Interact with a local Monero Simplewallet via the Chrome or Chromium browser!

• Monitor your wallet's balance
  • Send and receive XMR
  • Create integrated payment addresses
  • Check incoming payment information
  • Store contacts' addresses and information
  • Make fast payments to Monero URIs found in open browser tabs (you can test this out on the Monero Development Team's donations page or on the donations button on the extension's Settings page!)

Monero Wallet for Chrome can be installed from the Chrome Store or from it's GitHub repository.

This extension is not a full wallet, but rather is an interface to Monero's official command line wallet. As such, it is important to note that this wallet does not store any sensitive information about your wallet (view key, seed, etc), though you can use this wallet to view these pieces of information.

Note: For the extension to work, you need to have an instance of simplewallet running in "RPC Mode" on the same computer as your browser. On installation, a Getting Started dialog will help you set up simplewallet to talk to the extension. In addition to the dialog, I have developed scripts for OS X and Linux to aid in this setup, and plan to add one for Windows soon™.

In short, you should launch simplewallet with the following flags in order to use the extension:

--rpc-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 --rpc-bind-port 18082

You can use this extension with any simplewallet wallet that already exists, or make a brand new one. You just need to "refresh" a new wallet once to make sure it is synced before connecting it to simplewallet.

Please, please, please give feedback if you have any! I've tried to make this as user friendly as possible, but it is still in beta, and does require a small bit of work up front setting up simplewallet. Until all of the functionality of simplewallet can be incorporated into the browser/extension, this wallet will require simplewallet to be run in parallel to the extension.

I hope to announce a contest for voting on a set of wallet icons soon. Let me know what you think of the current logo, and if you have an idea for a new logo feel free to start designing one! More to come regarding this in the coming weeks.

Finally, a huge thanks to dEBRUYNE, gingeropolous, and dnale0r for their help testing the extension. Also a big thanks to smooth, moneromooo, and many more of the core team and other contributors for their help, advice, and support as I worked toward getting this together.

Replies: 2
JJabrams posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

there's a big trust issue having to do with online wallets...

Reply to: JJabrams
bigreddmachine posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I would love to hear what trust issues you think there are with this wallet.