Please login or register.

Difference between GetMonero.org and Monero.org?

I'm confused. Both GetMonero.org and Monero.org appear to be 'official' websites promoting monero, and there is a lot of overlap in content. What is the real difference between these two websites? Is one 'official', i.e. run by developers and another by 'supporters'? Or each by different developers?

Replies: 5
opennux posted 8 years ago Weight: -180 | Link [ - ]

I think the monero.org site is very detrimental. If it was a genuine community effort, they would hand over the address to the devs. But they are not. Why? If they have their reasons why not, and are still genuine in their efforts, why are there no obvious links or obvious disclaimers that it is not the official site. Not even on their : http://monero.org/about-site/ do they link the official - or clearly state that it's not 'official'. They even link the monero in 2014 review without due credit.. Something smells fishy

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -224 | Link [ - ]

The monero core team owns, operates, and maintains getmonero.org. Binaries should only be trusted from this domain, as far as I'm concerned.

@fluffypony, do you want to comment / confirm?

monero.org is owned and operated by an unknown party. They are apparently not part of the community because they haven't spoken up. Monero.org has been benign up to this point, but I wouldn't download anything from that site. My level of distrust stems from the fact that the cryptonote environment is relatively hostile (IMO, no one else could have performed the 201623 attack and, in general, the overall scam is hostile to the entire crypto community)

palexander posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -231 | Link [ - ]

getmonero.org is more up to date than the other sites. Does that make it official? I would say yes. I'm unsure who owns the getmonero.org domain though. Since a lot of Monero web content and software is open source, anybody can take it and develop their own business with it.

Reply to: palexander
mountainman posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -231 | Link [ - ]

Thanks, really just being cautious. So are you saying the lead developers of Monero don't really have any 'official' outlet for their Monero work and these sites are just 'fan sites' in a way? When it comes to downloading binaries of monerod etc it becomes crucial that the website is trusted by central Monero figures, be they developers or whatever. Not arguing for centralization or anything...

Reply to: mountainman palexander
palexander edited 8 years ago Weight: -231 | Link [ - ]

Here's an interesting thing about decentralization/distributed systems: It takes a team effort (i.e. centralization) to build these decentralized systems. Really only the software can be decentralized and get sufficiently distributed. Once it is up and running, for instance, a blockchain,--it becomes very powerful.

This is a concept I think a lot of people miss. They mistakenly apply decentralization/distribution to the software building effort..which is a mistake in my opinion.

As far as the getmonero.org goes, that seems to be the centralized distribution point for the Monero software. That and/or github. So far, I see no reason not to trust the developers involved so far. One has to remain vigilant though.