Please login or register.

Novice Mining Questions

I'd like to help support Monero and assume that mining it helps decentralize it. However I am a rank novice and have a few questions that I could use answered before I investigate the possibilities further.

1) Can I mine without Linux (i.e. can I mine just using Windows)?

2) If I set up my current 5 year old PC that I use daily would the mining overwhelm the CPU and make web browsing etc painfully slow?

3) If the answer to 2 is yes, if I purchase a new middle of the road PC just to mine XMR, would it at least pay for the electricity used and hopefully a few bucks toward the PC purchase? (PS- I live in a fairly expensive electricity area). The profit is a secondary (if not tertiary) consideration, but I'd prefer not to toss out a lot of money on helping to support XMR either.

All answers and suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Replies: 6
grobbler posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]
  1. yes.

2. it would depend on the specs of the computer. if it is only a dual core, you could mine with only 1 thread and it will use up 1 core, but depending on the processor even 1 less core could even bog it down a bit. it really doesn't hurt to download a miner and try it. find out for yourself.

3. If you are mining in a pool, and are really lucky to get a lot of blocks through the month, perhaps? but in my experience you might break even or even not. lets say you're mining both cpu and gpu and you're using 200watts for 30 days straight and your electric costs 12 cents/kilowatt. that's a little more than $17/month right there.

As i mentioned a bit earlier, all I can advise is to find a nice pool to join and mine with them to increase your chances on finding a block and getting paid. And a little tidbit, if you join a smaller pool, you might not find blocks as often, but it will help make the network more diverse as well as possibly increase your chance at getting paid more.

Rogerfederer posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I assume you have to pay to become a pool member. How do I know if I'm being short-handed other than no getting any payments?

Reply to: Rogerfederer
grobbler posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

you do not have to pay to become a pool member.

bitohoney posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Update: I was able to start mining on a laptop I have. I have a message that states "mining started in daemon". Should I assume that if I actually get a block that the fee goes straight into the wallet I created when setting it up or do I have to issue a command? Thanks to all that responded.

Reply to: bitohoney
grobbler edited 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

if you're using the wallet/wallet daemon to mine, don't. it is essentially inefficient anymore and you are likely to waste hashes by mining blocks that have already been discovered which is why it is highly recommended to mine with a pool.If you're only using cpu, you can download this program, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=647251.0 which is for cpu mining on Windows. there is a small dev fee (every few hashes, it'll mine for 2-3 seconds for the dev). but its made for mining with a pool.

to answer your question though, if you actually found a valid block for yourself, yes, the reward would go straight to your wallet.

Midnight posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Let me tell you a tale about electricity prices. 7 years ago I managed to get bitcoin mining working, back when it was far easier to mine (my GPU worked). However after testing it I realized that I wasn't generating more than the electricity I used, and in fact, because I had an NVidia GPU, my return was so sad that bitcoin prices would have to increase many times for there to be a profit. So I stopped.

Fast forward seven years... the tiny bit of bitcoin I mined during my test is now worth 720,000 times what it was worth when I mined it.

There is no guarantee that history will repeat itself, but I am back to mining and completely disregarding electricity costs as long as I can pay the electric bill. If anyone tells you history can't repeat itself in coin mining, remind them that there are only 3 million crypto-currency users, so far, on a planet with 7 billion people. Furthermore those 3 million coin users currently can use coin on an amazingly small percentage of their purchases compared to cash, and as that changes, crypto-currencies will appreciate in value. Then throw in that most coin gets harder to mine as time goes on, and most have limited supplies, and you can see that the next 7 years could be as wild as the last 7.

I wouldn't tell you to risk going broke from electricity costs, but if you have your finances even mildly under control, investing/gambling a little electricity might be the difference between your budget today and an early mega-wealthy retirement in 7 years. I sure wish that I could go back in time and tell myself this.

Of course, some of those same arguments can be used to suggest you are better off BUYING coin today, rather than mining at an electricity cost loss. I'm doing BOTH, because understanding mining allows me to understand each coin's economy, but fiat-cash lets me accumulate coin far faster than I can mine it.