Please login or register.

Mining on Ubuntu with AMD Radeon RX 470 and RX 480

Hello everyone!

This is kind of a story with some questions in it. I bolded the questions in case you're just interested in helping.

I finally finished setting up my motherboard and other components to launch a machine dedicated for mining. I installed Ubuntu on it (and for a moment regretted that), and managed to install all the required libraries and to compile some miners (I failed to compile some other miners).

The miners that I ended up using are LucasJones CPUMiner (to keep my i7 6700K CPU busy), and W0lf's CCMiner (I read it's deprecated but I failed to compile SGMiner).

What I want to share with you (and check if makes sense) is that both GPUs currently installed are mining at around 600kh/s each. So one is 470 and the other is 480 yet both are detected as Ellesmere GPU and hashing at the same rate. Is that normal?

My motherboard still has two PCIE slots that are x16 wide, and I have ordered another R9 390X GPU which is on its way. I bought it used thinking it was new for USD 394 (condition: used - very good).

As you can see all my GPUs are different because I want to test and see which is the most powerful. For the last PCIE slot on my motherboard, I will still get another GPU model to see which is the best.

By the way, although I'm not new to Ubuntu I never really used it so much. I do a lot of searching around to try stuff. For example, I'm using Ethereum's Ethminer just to check GPU info like below. Does anyone know of better tool to check GPU info?

./ethminer -G --list-devices

[OPENCL]: Listing OpenCL devices. FORMAT: [deviceID] deviceName [0] Ellesmere CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 6314786816 CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 4244635648 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256 [1] Ellesmere CL_DEVICE_TYPE: GPU CL_DEVICE_GLOBAL_MEM_SIZE: 6505123840 CL_DEVICE_MAX_MEM_ALLOC_SIZE: 4244635648 CL_DEVICE_MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE: 256

What is bugging me here is that the MAX_WORK_GROUP_SIZE is only 256... Maybe it's an issue with the driver setup?

I feel awesome! And you guys are awesome too! M

Replies: 1
mzae posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Mzae: Helllloooo??? Anyone in here? Hellloo?? Any one still alive? Any survivors? Mzae : hmmm, maybe I need to setup a radio transmitter and call people who are still alive who might by any chance be using a radio...