Please login or register.

Monero Mining; Low GPU stress

Hi! First thread, and could not find the right search terms to search the issue so was hoping someone could touch on this.

I have been experimenting with many different coins. Came to Monero and began to mine. Using CCMiner Forked for Monero, or even Minergate, I am noticing that my GPU's are not being stressed. For instance if mining Dash my GPU would hit full stress and 82c. With Monero I will only hit 60c, 44% power. It fluctuates but never fully stresses my cards.

Edit: Should mention I am running old cards (working fine), GTX 680 Lightning 2GB.

Replies: 2
MiZ posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I have the same with gtx 1070. Didn't try other cryptonight coins though, but with ETH temp and fans go crazy :D I trace gpu behavior with GPU-Z and MSI afterburner. Although the GPU Load is 100% (after some tweaking) average power consumption is 50-55% TDP. I suppouse we should be happy, that makes monero mining more profitable, doesn't it?

Dufkin edited 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

It is most probably because you are using the standard settings (which is as far as i remember 40 blocks and 8 threads). What you can do is to change these settings (see the ccminer readme file). What I am usually doing when using a new graphics card for mining is I am creating an excel sheet with the following collums: blocks | threads | hashes per second min. | hashes per second max. | gpu load | memory usage | mean of hashes per second within 5-10 minutes | standard deviation of hashes per second within 5-10 minutes. for gpu load and memory usage you can use tools like gpuz (windows). what you wanna do is to vary threads and blocks in order to maximize your gpu load to 98-100% without going to high with your specific memory usage (in your case 2gb) but also try to get high hashrates without letting them jump too much up and down (high mean, low standard deviation). so the next step could be to try 8 threads and 48 blocks for example.