Please login or register.

A fond goodbye to our friend and contributor, warptangent

It is with sadness that we have to inform the community that warptangent, one of the most prolific Monero contributors, has passed away. His family reached out to us to let us know, as we had not heard from him since he had taken ill at the beginning of March.

warptangent's first commit to the Monero project was in November, 2014, and his contributions touched many areas of the codebase. He was is known for squashing bug after bug, and adding new functionality to the mnemonic seed system and wallet storage system. Perhaps his most seminal work, however, will be the effort he put into improving BlockchainDB and the BDB and LMDB implementations. He was solely responsible for introducing the blockchain_import and blockchain_export tools, and his work on performance improvements to the blockchain storage subsystem were advanced enough that Howard "hyc" Chu has been able to pick them up and continue the effort.

And, too, it is important to note that he put all of this effort in with no regard for remuneration, with no forum funding system proposal, all of his own volition. He was an excellent software engineer, and a bright and talented individual.

He will be sorely missed by all who interacted with him, and our sincere condolences go to his family.

Replies: 23
Shisato posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

like our currency, I'm abstract. I've been working on a new deal and it's time to push our proof-of-work. 10mn window at 1240a

monerok posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

warptangent

RIP mate as you will be legendary one day! We will make sure you shall not be forgotten.

juliasmain posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

RIP. His accomplishments shall live on..

anonimal posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

My biggest inclination to help create Monero's Kovri was founded on the essence of a friendly and cooperative development environment. Upon Kovri's earliest stages, even before the first commit, I was greeted with kindness and respect from every Monero developer/contributor that I'd come in contact with and, luckily for me, warptangent was one of those developers.

I am deeply saddened to hear of warptangent's passing and I hope that his friends and family will know that he has positively influenced all of the Monero community. Though I did not know him well, I do know that he will be sorely missed and he will be in my thoughts and in my motivations for future Monero contributions.

May his code live long, his work be celebrated, and may we keep him (and those who were close to him) in our hearts.

Rest peacefully, warptangent.

Reply to: rfcdejong
ranger posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I am warptangent's father and would like those who worked with him in some way to please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for your postings.

Reply to: hyc

I am warptangent's father and would like those who worked with him in some way to please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for your postings.

Reply to: hyc

Reply to: canth

Reply to: Peter

Reply to: antw081