Please login or register.

Open source AMD miner by Wolf0

Introduction

Who - Wolf0, renowned miner developer. Worked on the original monero solo miner and the nvidia miner. Also responsible for mining software for many other algos.

What - Open source AMD miner for Monero with solo mining support.

Why - The only AMD miner is Claymore's, and its closed source and also has a fee. In order to increase the strength of the Monero network, we need as much hashpower as we can get. Furthermore, GPU solo mining may increase the number of people running full solo nodes. Finally, Wolf0 is an excellent mining software developer with a proven track record, and has found some flaws in the monero pool software and is interested in creating a new monero pool software / architecture that will both correct these flaws and provide a means to allow an individual miner to confirm that the pool is honest. Getting him on board with this project will hopefully spur further developments.

Amount: 5750 XMR.

Milestones / Payouts / Timeframe:

1 - Working OpenCL implementation. Payout: 1000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 days

2 - Host code and pool interface. Payout 2000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 weeks

3 - Performance on a 290x. 400 h/s = 500 XMR. 400-500 h/s = 750 XMR. 500-600 h/s 1000 XMR. 600-750 h/s 2000 XMR. Timeframe: 2 weeks.

4 - Solo mining support. Payout: 750 XMR. Timeframe: open-ended

Conditions for payouts:

1 - it works. Code is released open source. License to be determined, but it will NOT be GPL. Perhaps MIT or WTFPL.

2 - Software is released open source via github. Compiled binaries are released for all major platforms. Software is as user friendly as possible. Software can be customized using configuration files.

update

beta of first versions https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner/releases/tag/0.1

Replies: 54
syzygy123 posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

This is awesome! Is there any estimate on solo mining support?

Aiwe posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I would appreciate any suggestions how to adjust intensity / GPU usage, power drain, temp. etc. For example how to set up low intensity mode to let it mine in background. Should I try to play around with rawintesity? Maybe anything else?

Reply to: Aiwe
Aiwe posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Can someone compile this for windows, please? https://github.com/hyc/wolf-xmr-miner/tree/daemon

Aiwe posted 8 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I think the header needs to be corrected because it show project as fully funded when in fact it is not.

hyc posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hey folks. I have Wolf's miner working as a solo miner now. You need this PR https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/777 and also this miner branch https://github.com/hyc/wolf-xmr-miner/tree/daemon

Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -7 | Link [ - ]

Windows bins of what's on git for testing: https://ottrbutt.com/tmp/wolf-xmr-miner-git.zip

Gingeropolous edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -10 | Link [ - ]

Its a christmas miracle! Wolf has apparently exceeded the last performance milestone (750 h/s), which is friggin awesome.

Unfortunately, my original milestone payout map was misunderstood by everyone. See, it was supposed to be differential - as in, 400 h/s gets 500, then 400-500 gets 250, then 500-600 gets 250. I wrote it like I did because I figured it made sense regarding the first payout. I.e., if Wolf's first release hit 400-500, then he would've gotten 750. Made sense in my mind. Let it be known you shouldn't rush your pitches and write them at 2 AM.

Anyway.

As some have noticed, the payout for the last milestone (400 - 500) was 750, instead of 250, which is why none of the numbers add up, and our funding will be short if we plan to payout the next milestones using the numbers listed: 1000 xmr for 500-600 h/s, and 2000 xmr for 600 - 750 h/s (as opposed to subtracting between them).

Wolf has been super understanding about the whole thing, and has agreed that for the next milestone (the one currently on git that gets between 500 and 600) that a payout of 750 is fine. For this payout to occur, we still need people to confirm on some hardware that we're seeing those hashrates, and then some binaries will be released. Where my AMD people at? Also please confirm the stability of these new versions - run the thing for a while.

For the final milestone of 600 - 750 h/s, wolf has apparently surpassed this, hitting 770 h/s on samsung memory and 780 on elpida. This version hasn't been pushed to git yet - Wolf is waiting for payout for the previous milestone. Wolf is expecting 2000 xmr for this final milestone.

So, in summary, there is 1500 xmr left in the current funding account for this project. Wolf expects to get 2750 for the work optimizing the speed of the miner. And then there is the milestone for solo mining capabilities, which is another 750. So we're looking at another 3500 xmr in funding commitments, with only 1500 xmr left in the account. So, we ultimately need to get 2000 more xmr into the account.

I sincerely apologize for my wording on the damn pitch. I don't think anything needs to be done for the thread to get things going - I sent an additional amount of XMR to the above address and payment ID - I think we can exceed the 100% mark and it just keeps on going.

Thoughts, comments, please express them.

Reply to: Gingeropolous
Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Weight: -10 | Link [ - ]

I gave Wolf a tip for 500XMR after he hit his current performance. This was supposed to be only a tip in addition to his work, but mistakes like this with funding happen, and this opensource miner is an absolute necessity.

I think just sending more XMR to the Funding Address is fine, but Fluffy or someone maybe should extend the funding to what it was originally supposed to be and correct the error.

I will go ahead and send another 750XMR to the FFS to speed things up, I hope others can help pickup the slack.

Additionally to what was written out as the current Milestones for this progress, I propose a few additional Milestones, ones that will be necessary, we can get them out of the way now and further our progress, or we can sleep on it for tomorrow and wait.

1. Windows/Linux GUI with settings optimized already for each type of AMD card.

-I understand this is a project in of itself, but we need to figure out what it will take to get this underway

2. PiMP support.

-Back when Litecoin mining was still profitable on GPU's PiMP became an extremely valuable tool for managing mining rigs/farms and remoting into your Mining Rig for easy setup.

The project is on its knees due to the ecosystem of GPU mining, but I think we can be of assistance in reviving GPU mining with the aid and success of Monero.

These two additional developments to the opensource AMD miner will help tremendously bring back mining to the people.

A third project to think about would be:

3. AMD GPU Smartmining.

When Smartmining is enabled by users for GPU, they can have many options on how they want it done, only when they are away, always going but just on 'Low' settings, etc.

-I know Smartmining is still not developed, but this should/needs to be included in it. This will help our network out tremendously.

Anyways, think about this stuff and let us figure out what is most important and go from there.

-EDIT- Sent another 750XMR :

Money successfully sent, transaction <958f97b850262713379a25a6454f7b3d2ae72ed4ee 902435df897973e894c76f>

Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -15 | Link [ - ]

Testing time! Anyone who can build from source, try the latest git of my AMD miner. It reaches the next performance milestone: https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner

Results (NSFW): https://ottrbutt.com/miner/xmrwolf-12232015.png

Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -108 | Link [ - ]

Greatly reduced stales and small Windows compatibility fix released in 0.2.

Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -120 | Link [ - ]

Hey Wolf, do you have instructions to get this miner working on an iMac with a radeon 290x? It is my friends and he is interested in mining on it, but I don't have the first clue about how to use a mac, so I will need ELI5 instructions. Thanks!

Reply to: Lloydimiller4
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -120 | Link [ - ]

I don't use Macs, and I don't support them due to them not giving a shit about compatibility.

Reply to: Wolf0 Lloydimiller4
Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -120 | Link [ - ]

Even if you don't care about them, others do. I would appreciate it if you made your miner available to Macs, even if I have to donate some extra for you to do it. I want Monero to be available to all, including the mining for it. Please reconsider

Reply to: Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -119 | Link [ - ]

Eh... I might do it for a bounty, but it's one HELL of a lot of extra code, because while the Windows and Linux AMD OpenCL drivers act similarly, the Mac one was HEAVILY modified by Apple until it hardly resembles what it was.

Reply to: Wolf0 Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4
Lloydimiller4 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -118 | Link [ - ]

Yes, please figure out what an appropriate bounty would be to add Macintosh usability. I was under the impression that this miner would work for all three OS types, but perhaps that was a little naive of me. I definitely would prefer that nothing in Monero to be exclusionary of any OS, even for mining, and I do understand that the amount of Mac users that want to mine on their GPU is absurdly low. As long as the bounty seems reasonable, I will pitch in a good bit for it. Thank you for considering the work to add it.

Reply to: Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -110 | Link [ - ]

Well, first thing, I'd need a Mac to test on.

Reply to: Wolf0 Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4 Wolf0
Lloydimiller4 edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -78 | Link [ - ]

How much do you think it would cost to get you a refurbished Mac desktop so you can add support for current/some older models and be able to add support to more models going forward? Depending on the price I would be happy to pay for it not all of it, a very good amount. The more mining decentralization the better IMO. :D

-EDIT-

Reply to: Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4 Wolf0 Lloydimiller4
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -77 | Link [ - ]

another option, lloydmiller, is that you could purchase the Mac and keep it, and Wolf0 could remote into it (using the power of the internets), if for whatever reason you felt like having another mac around.

Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -122 | Link [ - ]

Reconnecting issues appears to be fixed.

Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -125 | Link [ - ]

Update: Thought I fixed the reconnect issue; technically, I did, as it DOES reconnect. But shares are submitted with the ID from the OLD connection, causing rejections after the first disconnect. Working on it.

Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -159 | Link [ + ]

there was no linux binary release, right?

muchoman posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

Getting this error. Error -1 when calling clGetDeviceIDs for number of devices.

Reply to: muchoman
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

You don't have any GPUs on platform 0 - or no drivers installed for them.

Reply to: Wolf0 muchoman
muchoman posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

I have on platform 0 and 1 and drivers are installed

Reply to: muchoman Wolf0 muchoman
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

Intel CPU OpenCL drivers may be using platform 0, which would return no GPUs. I need to add a parameter for selecting the platform in the config file.

Reply to: Wolf0 muchoman Wolf0 muchoman
muchoman posted 8 years ago Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

I think you're right. On sgminer I have to add --gpu-platform 1 to get them work.

snakes edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -165 | Link [ + ]

FWIW, I can confirm running wolf's miner on Win 8.1 on two of my AMD cards: 290 (at 406 H/s) and 280x (at 333 H/s):

http://imgur.com/b4NF5Ud

Cheers,

snakes

Reply to: snakes
Luzer posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: -165 | Link [ + ]

I get the error below when I use the default config. I do have two graphic cards and when I remove card 1 from the config it works

Selected OpenCL device index 1 doesn't exist.

Reply to: Luzer snakes
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -164 | Link [ + ]

Oops, index should probably be zero for the default config.

palexander posted 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: -165 | Link [ + ]

If my understanding is correct, binaries are released continually throughout the process of development before payouts can be made. Am I reading the initial contract incorrectly?

Reply to: palexander
Gingeropolous posted 8 years ago Weight: -165 | Link [ + ]

thats how I read the "contract" as well - payouts upon release of binaries and release of open source code. Furthermore, user friendliness is a stipulation of payout but is unfortunately not defined and apparently can have a range of interpretations. I, for one, include "instructions for compiling on a fresh Ubuntu install" in my definition of user friendliness.

Reply to: palexander
Wolf0 posted 8 years ago Weight: -165 | Link [ + ]

Done: https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner/releases/tag/0.1