Please login or register.

Create End-User Kovri documentation

> What - describe the idea and how you plan to develop it

The idea is to create user-friendly non-technical Kovri documentation. Something that helps new users (who aren't necessarily developers) better understand what Kovri is and how it can/will be used.

I plan to develop this by implementing new documentation directly into my fork of the monero-site repository via Moneropedia entries (a similar, successful and completed proposal can be seen here) and then sending a pull-request when completed.

> Who - who are you? Why do you think you can develop it, and why should the Monero community believe you can?

I am anonimal; and I am presently the lead developer of The Kovri I2P Router Project. With the help, guidance, and contributions of both I2P and Monero developers, myself and a handful of others came together to create Kovri.

This documentation proposal is yet another aspect of development that we have been tackling since the inception of Kovri. I believe that I can implement this proposal because of my experience with Kovri.

The Monero community should believe that I can implement this proposal for the following reasons:

• My tireless commitment to Kovri as proven over the passed 8+ months
  • My recent contributions to bitmonero
  • My contributions to the Monero project as a whole

> Why - Why do you want to develop this?

I would like to see a robust documentation system that improves the lives of everyone in the Monero ecosystem. Something that provides a firm foundation for the most novice to the most experienced of users to use and understand Kovri technology. I believe that user-friendly Monerpedia can help build that foundation.

> The Proposal and Milestones - It is difficult to describe how each proposal should be broken down into milestones, but only you (the developer) knows how long things can take, and knows how to break the task apart. Expiration - Make it apparent that a time limit exists for the proposal.

I propose a two milestones, 50 XMR for each milestone, for a total of 100 XMR. The first milestone being a completed first draft that I will keep in my fork. The second milestone being completed, uploaded, and verified content.

This proposal can, technically, be finished using my free time on the weekend. Realistically, because of scheduling, I need to vastly overestimate and give two weeks maximum for the first milestone and two weeks maximum for the 2nd milestone for a total of 1 month.

Realistically, this can be completed in less time than proposed - but I'd rather have this buffer for the sake of scheduling.

All feedback is welcome. I would like to hear any specifics or requests from the community before I dive into this.

Edit: also see https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/4sx825/kovri_enduser_documentation_proposal_now_open_for/

Replies: 15
nioc edited 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I have seen anonimal participate at the dev meetings on IRC that I have watched and he definitely seemed involved, committed and competent. User-friendly non-technical documentation is something that I would appreciate. Being non-technical I have no way to evaluate the GitHub links you provided and therefore have no idea where in development Korvi is now or how far from completion it is but I guess this request means that Korvi is complete enough for this documentation. A quick development overview would be appreciated.

Korvi/i2p is a very important for Monero. I would definitely consider contributing to this.

Reply to: nioc
anonimal posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

> Being non-technical I have no way to evaluate the GitHub links you provided and therefore have no idea where in development Korvi is now or how far from completion it is

Thank you for your insight; me being knee-deep in code has clouded my perspective. Your comments will help me build better documentation.

Reply to: anonimal nioc
palexander edited 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

nioc echoes my sentiments. I am willing to donate some XMR to the effort.

Joshua edited 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I like this proposal and will support it.

Gingeropolous posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I also support this proposal and will donate what little I can...

antw081 posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I'll be happy to help fund this.

anonimal posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Hello everybody, I've opened a pull-request here for review.

Please comment with questions/suggestions on these base-line Moneropedia/Kovri entries. After all comments are received (if any), I think we can proceed directly to the 2nd milestone (I believe this PR completes the 1st milestone).

dEBRUYNE posted 7 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Should we move this to funding?

Reply to: dEBRUYNE
xmrenthusiast posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Yes I think that we have consensus about the importance of this proposal

Reply to: dEBRUYNE

Yes.

Per our conversation on IRC, I must reiterate that, because Kovri is in pre-alpha, this proposal can only fulfill 'baseline' end-user documentation of which will evolve over time.

fluffypony posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Ready for funding :)

ravla edited 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]
  • 100xmr
Reply to: ravla

Thank you, ravla :)

Update: the repo now has extensively documented configuration files (kovri.conf, tunnels.conf) and a preliminary end-user guide. I've started work on moneropedia and will post another update once the first milestone is reached.

Thank you very much to all donors!