Please login or register.

A fond goodbye to our friend and contributor, warptangent

It is with sadness that we have to inform the community that warptangent, one of the most prolific Monero contributors, has passed away. His family reached out to us to let us know, as we had not heard from him since he had taken ill at the beginning of March.

warptangent's first commit to the Monero project was in November, 2014, and his contributions touched many areas of the codebase. He was is known for squashing bug after bug, and adding new functionality to the mnemonic seed system and wallet storage system. Perhaps his most seminal work, however, will be the effort he put into improving BlockchainDB and the BDB and LMDB implementations. He was solely responsible for introducing the blockchain_import and blockchain_export tools, and his work on performance improvements to the blockchain storage subsystem were advanced enough that Howard "hyc" Chu has been able to pick them up and continue the effort.

And, too, it is important to note that he put all of this effort in with no regard for remuneration, with no forum funding system proposal, all of his own volition. He was an excellent software engineer, and a bright and talented individual.

He will be sorely missed by all who interacted with him, and our sincere condolences go to his family.

Replies: 23
monerok posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

warptangent

RIP mate as you will be legendary one day! We will make sure you shall not be forgotten.

Shisato posted 6 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

like our currency, I'm abstract. I've been working on a new deal and it's time to push our proof-of-work. 10mn window at 1240a

juliasmain posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

RIP. His accomplishments shall live on..

Gingeropolous edited 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

He lives on in the code!

Warptangent was one of the first monero contributors to really help me work through getting Monero to work on my system when the LMDB branch was relatively new and it was the only version that would work for me, and he and I would often de-bug my system - his patience was infinite, and his commitment to the cause nothing short of noble.

May you find peace, Warptangent, in that world beyond the known.

Reply to: Gingeropolous
ranger posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I am warptangent's father and would like those who worked with him in some way to please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for your postings.

luigi1111 posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Farewell, Mr. warptangent. Your contributions were numerous, excellent, and much appreciated. You will be missed.

Reply to: luigi1111

I am warptangent's father and would like those who worked with him in some way to please contact me at [email protected]. Thank you for your postings.

canth posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Damn...always sad to lose a contributor like that. Warptangent - you'll be sorely missed.

Reply to: canth

Arux posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

His volunteer work and his worthwhile contribution to the project reflect his nobility of soul. Sincere condolences to his family.

Reply to: Arux

rfcdejong posted 8 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Without knowing warptangent, my condolences to his family and friends

Reply to: rfcdejong

hyc posted 8 years ago Replies: 2 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

I've only been around a short while but he was such a great help. Yes, his work will live on. R.I.P.

Reply to: hyc

Reply to: hyc

antw081 posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Rest in peace.

Reply to: antw081

Peter posted 7 years ago Replies: 1 | Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

Thank you for your contributions to the project. You will be missed.

Reply to: Peter

rocco posted 7 years ago Weight: 0 | Link [ - ]

i am so sorry to hear this and my condolences go to his family and friends. thanks for all the work you did!